now show LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, May 5, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Just when I think I've heard it all...........I get a phone call from this real nice lady who asks "would it be possible for you to consider doing just one more lawn this year"? Here's the story as it unfolded..... Her 86 year old mother had contracted with a "guy" to mow her lawn at $75 a week - just mow, blow and go......... and she has called him for 3 weeks and he hasn't shown up yet to do the lawn. So I jump in the truck and go look at the lawn - it's 1/3 acre - very little trimming and flat as pancake. I scratch my head trying to figure how this guy came up with 75 bucks per week. I walk over the property a second time and give her a price of $45 as she excuses herself - goes into the house - and leaves me standing talking with her daughter. She comes out with a check in hand for the full year contract and smiles as she hands it to me. I go to pull away after we mow her yard and the daughter asks if we would consider coming over and looking at her yard...........We got a contract on her yard and the neighbor next to hers - all from a "guy" who wouldn't show up to mow the original one...........God I love America.
    Dave

2. upsondown

ooops ...... that darned finger hit the post button too quick.............. this post should read: NO show LCO............sorry guys....
    Dave

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sweet!Ya gotta love that.
    Good job!Amazing how many LCO's never show up.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

great that you got their business, but I guarantee you would have gotten the job at $70, 75, or even $80. They already proved that they would pay $75 so why in the world would you undercut yourself by that much???

5. upsondown

i use our rate chart in my pricing.... to me it does not matter how much another company would charge....i believe in fair pricing. $75 was way over what it should have been. Just because someone is willing to pay a higher price does not justify me breaking it off in their ass.........I know some people live to do that - but not me.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, the sad reality hits home with these pr!cks when they realize you have to actually WORK, to get paid.

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was thinking. Even if you had told her $60 she still would have thought she was getting a deal. Its good your honest though. Congrats on the new account.

8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have gotten about 15 of my accounts because of LCO's that never show up, thank god for lazy people.