Now that is some shavings!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

This is hopefully my newest supplier of compost. Horse farm here in town, directly across, and surrounding, the smaller farm that I already have an agreement with. You can only see the tip of the iceberg from the road. Yeah, I originally said they had about 20 or so horses... try over 100. They breed them, HIGH dollar horses. Look at that pile of sh%#!

This is going to take a while...

The first pic is the pile, the ground is a constant slope, except you might notice that it looks flat in the picture. That is because it is. I don't know the measurements but you get out there to the far end and we figured it was a good 15' to the ground. And I think you may get an idea of how wide. Then the stuff is just kind of scattered. There is a smaller, older pile off to the left that is finished and ready to go... no telling what we will find underneath it all, I am hoping on the edges there will be more finished stuff I can take right away. We shall see, again, so far it looks like everything is going to be done for free, may have to pay for some off road diesel and that is it.

The second pic is our first site to make a pile. That is the small area. They have power lines down the edge of the property about 100' away. The plan is to have piles going down that whole power line.

Hey Tree! Do compost piles have any run off issues? My friend said there was a stream in the wood line he was worried about having run off get into. Told him I would ask yall.

Thanks.

2.jpg

1.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they can

3. DeepGreenLawn

how is this controlled?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If it is determined to be a problem/concern, collection and treatment of any runoff is the only way.

5. DeepGreenLawn

Not only does that sound like a pain but to be done properly... expensive.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well after completing the Fl doa runoff containment course I am now allowed to install these setups. most of the time it is a simple issue of containment, the law here says that a 50 mil liner is to be placed under the pile and the water(runoff) gets collected and sprayed over the pile to evaporate the unneeded part. some systems have a septic tank and pump off system that is used to hold the runoff until it gets collected and sprayed onto AG crops to be used as a fert. the end all be all of the containment is that no nutrients get into local water ways and ground water. AKA you don't lose the good parts of your compost.

the major expense is the liner, it is not cheap and needs to be put down and padded real well, sand is easy just scrape it around and put it into the shape that you need, banked sides and a sump. then all you need is a float switched pump for sewage(macerating pump) and a spray nozzle on top of the pile.

also covering the pile is the easiest thing you can do

7. treegal1

start with piling that $h*t heap up real tall and long and cover it!!! only on the top. lace it with some pure sludge milorganite, to get it hot. turn it regular and make sure its wet but not to wet(no runoff)

I need to get up there and make a killing................

8. DeepGreenLawn

That is what I was thinking, I was going to put this up before you posted that. I was thinking putting down a plastic liner, good and thick to hold up, have it funnel into a tank, and then I was going to ask if the runoff was any good, I figured it would be, don't see how it couldn't, and then either spray it on fields or back on the pile like you said. Seems pretty simple, like always it's all in the prep. The tarp would be covered with sand/gravel to help protect it from getting torn when turning the pile.

This sound right? Sounds like a good practice before run off is even considered a problem.

9. treegal1

just stack the manure onto the liner as you go, pond liners are the best for this

10. DeepGreenLawn

appreciate the head up.