Now THIS is a dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tharrell, May 27, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was getting a load of mulch and snapped this pic while waiting to be loaded.
    I wonder how many yards of mulch this baby will hold?

DSC00818.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Actually a end dump like that really doesn't haul that much weight at most you can only legally carry 20 ton where as a regular tandem axle dump truck can carry 15 ton. Those end dumps are made for carrying light bulky material like sawdust or scrap metal.

3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

in virginia, you can gross 84,000 lbs, with a 5% overload. We use our dumps like that to haul everything from snow, salt, to gravel, and yes mulch too

4. Gravel Rat

Most end dumps here are tridem trailers you can get roughly 30 ton on them the truck is able to gross 110,000lbs with one.

End dumps are only good for hauling material long distances a regular dump truck works better for short distance hauling.

5. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like a fun tie driving that thing with all the ****** these days

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is one of those lightweight, frameless trailers. You can really haul a good payload, but they will turn over easily. I have seen many turned over on just the slightest slope, or, even on level ground if the load sticks on one side.
    Just guessing at the size of the trailer, but you should be able to haul about 71 yds.level full.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

75 yards.....the same as all other "tractor trailer loads" carry

8. Gravel Rat

It doesn't take much and a end dump is on its side its prolly why that yard is paved. Regular tandem axle dump trucks roll over too get on any kind of slope with some soft ground over you go.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

They haul it all with those dumps. Sand, gravel, mulch. The owner did tell me that driver did turn one over a while back. I watched it go up and down. It went down a lot slower that it went up. Almost seemed to inch it's way down.
    And I wasn't talking about weight, rather cubic yards of mulch. Is there a weight calculation for that? ha ha ha

10. Gravel Rat

The reason why it came down so slow is the hydraulic cylinder takes alot of juice to fully extend it. Takes a while for gravity to force the hyraulic fluid back into the wet tank.