1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Now THIS is a MOWER, and check out the stripes.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by BackAcreFarm, Jun 6, 2004.

1. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

Serious Mower:

2. BackAcreFarm

And Some Stripes:

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice hydro swing swather. Must be about 10 or 12 footer?. We use 14 and 16 foot self propelled aroung here. Mostly New Holland and Heston.
  4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

My father's farm uses a 16' swingbine to cover over 1000 acres. We even triple windrow the swaths and chop with our monster self propelled
  5. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

MMMMM.... green grass, green hay, green paint, more green in hand!!!

Are you cutting for silage or are you going to bale it?
  6. Jimmyed

Jimmyed LawnSite Member
    from IN

We baled 2500 bales on saturday and sunday.

It was all in barns by 8pm sunday night. my ass was dragging when i got done working, which came at 11pm
  7. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

Nothing Runs Like A DEERE!!!
  8. BackAcreFarm

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.
    The mower is 13 ft wide, nowhere near the biggest made, but we used a 7 ft sicklebar when I was growing up.
    The blades on the Deere are a lot like the Meg-Mo system, large disks with removeable, replaceable, free swinging blades. The Deere website has pictures if you're interested.
    We switched to round bales a few years ago, they are supposed to weigh 1500 lbs each. It drastically reduces the manpower needed to bale, the whole operation can be done by one person.
    We've had a lot of rain this year, over 12 inches in May, so we're a couple of weeks behind schedule. This is the first cutting, we got about 2.7 tons per acre. We always get three cuttings, maybe four if the weather cooperates. Could be a good year for hay.
    This is "organically raised hay", no herbicides or pesticides used on the fields. It will all be fed to cows.

Here's another picture with a couple of my helpers.