Now this is irritating.....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CRUZMISL, Jul 11, 2005.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Woke up this am at 5am before going to work. I took a shower and I swear I could pee with more pressure than what was coming from the shower head. I knew my irrigation system was on but it's usually not this bad.

Before I left for work I look at the sprinklers and they are not even popped out of the ground. WTF! I take a pressure reading after I shut the system down and it was a whopping 28psi. Normally it's low (40psi) but this is bordering on the ridiculous. The city is coming out to evaluate but is there really anything they can do?

Thanks, I had to vent
    J.

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The city may be required to provide you with a specific amount of pressure, such as 40 psi. They can give and take from one place to another. Apparently the problem is with the city, and not your place, eh?

If it is a problem with the city water, you may want to double check that you're not watering when there is a demand. Wouldn't think that a whole lot of people would be using water at 5 a.m., but you may want to bump your controller up to 4:00. Real bummer, but if everything fails, in the future you may be forced to switch over to some different heads... like the low flow MP rotators.

3. Don't get him started ;)

I think he already has switched to MP's.....

4. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Sprinkler guy is correct. I am already running the mp's..... :dizzy:

They come out tomorrow so we'll see what lame excuse they come up with.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Hopefully it's just the low pressure form the tropical storm season, and it will be ok again in October. :dizzy:

Fer real, though, that has to be a bummer. It will be interesting to see how the city intends to remedy the situation, if at all. Please keep us posted!

6. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I'l keep you posted. I doubt it's from the tropical storm season though since I'm on the Michigan/Ontario border.

I don't anticipate any amazing fixes though. They'll blame something else and then be on their way.

7. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Well the city came today and measured 45psi (which I've measured before) and said it was normal, not perfect, but normal for the area since according to him the mains were not designed properly when built. He was a nice guy and didn't charge me for the call.

The question now is what the hell to do about the low pressure. Sure I could drop the nozzle size down (using 5's in the PGP's) but I think I may be better off getting a booster pump and setting it at about 55-60psi. (I have 3/4 copper supply)

Thoughts?

J.

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ouch, can't believe I'm saying this, but a booster pump might be your least expensive option. A 1/2 horse jet pump would probably do it and cost you around a $100 plus a bit. You may end up reversing all the changes you have made to reduce your output though. If the static pressure is that bad is boosting the whole house and buying a pressure tank an option? I can't remember from the previous posts (and I'm to lazy to night to search for the old thread) if you are working in and out of the basement or not. Either way, pump before the sprinkler connection and a pressure tank in the house. I HATE a shower w/ a water saver nozzle. :)

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

OK, less lazy than I originally said. The recomendations from the old post are still valid. 1/2 horse pump, your choice for doing the whole house and adding the pressure tank, or just a pump start for irrigation only. FWIW, I would invest the $50 you would spend on a good pump start toward your pressure tank and help the house water out at the same time.

10. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Bic, how about this unit just after the water meter in the basement?
    http://www.aquascience.net/daveypump.htm
    Seems to have everything. This way I can increase the pressure of the whole house without worrying about negative pressure if I just did the sprinklers. The sprinklers are run on a pipe that goes through the house so that's my concern.

I should also mention 45 psi is measured 10 ft from the meter. I have no idea what it is at the sprinkler head after it travels through valves and 100ft of pipe...........

Thanks!
    J.