Now to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJ Contracting, Oct 11, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I service a large company in a residential/commercial area, anyway there is a neighbor that has started to put his leaves and chestnuts in the lawn that I take care of, now this gentleman has to cross the road to do this. Well he did this yesterday and I had enough so I picked up all his yard waste and took them back over to his lawn and dumped the in several different spots, I'll have to go back and try to catch him @ home and ask why he doesn't use the city provided waste pick-up and to inform him that if he continues to do this, that I have all kinds of yard waste that I can dump in his yard.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You will be in jail before the month ends. film him and show it to the police. let them deal with it.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think the best thing you can do is stay out of it, and let your customer handle it. Approach your customer and tell him what his neighbor is doing. Tell him that by this neighbor doing this, this is going to add to his monthly bill since this is causing you more work. It's up to your customer to have a talk with the neighbor if he doesn't want to pay more for your service. Don't get caught in the middle.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what brings this on...
    You're not parking your truck in front of his house / on his side of the road, are you?

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Nah. Some people are just so self-oriented they can't see beyond "taking care of me and my own". I do a church. Would always show up and there was trash galore. (Not terribly uncommon - but this was excessive). Finally, we catch a nieghbor over the fence who is, literally, dumping her trash cans over the fence. Out of sight - out of mind, I guess.

I would say YOU call the cops and report them. Suggest to the powers that be that you'd like someone to drop by. You might just score a friendly visit from a uniformed officer. THAT is likely more than enough to scare 'em out of ever pulling that stunt again.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

1MajorTom is right on this one. Stay out of neighborhood disputes and don't cause them. Explain to your customer what's going on and the additional costs if it continues. If the situation doesn't change, add the time to the bill.
    If the guy across the road is dumping his stuff, it should be in one place and easy to pickup....for an added charge. Maybe agravating, but it's not like you've got to do a complete cleanup.

7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We had something similar about 3 Saturdays ago. One commercal prop (not our account) called the house (at 7:30 am on a Sat...can you believe it :) ) and accused us of illegal dumping in their dumpster. They said they had already made a police report and called their dumpster company and everything...so naturally, David and the crew went there first thing. We service the props on both sides of their lot.

Not only was the evidence overwhelming in our favor...(size of truck that had backed up to the dumpster, the fact that the crew didn't have a stand for the trailer with them so they couldn't have un-hooked, the Walker dosn't dump that high off the ground...and the prop owner probably wouldn't have caught or known this...their dumpster was full of St. Augustine and the bulk of our waste is centipede, bahaia, and burmuda.) David stepped into the office to talk to the people, he called me and told them he had me on speaker as well so that we could clear it up...and almost the first thing out of the lady's mouth was that she was tired of having problems with BOTH neighbors. I basically tuned out then.

I talked to our crew and told them to stay on our customer's lots and not to even turn the truck in the driveway or anything. The guys agreed. I told David...this isn't about us, they are obviously bad neighbors and we just need to stay far, far away!

David argued...what if the other 2 props really were the bad neighbors. I think it would be unlikely one manager/owner would have problems on BOTH sides if they themselves were the better neighbor.

Best to stay out of neighbor disputes.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I park on the property that I'm taking care of off the street and no where near his property this just started happening this year, this is the third year at this account, anyway this might have stemmed from him asking me to cut weeds that were growing out between the curb and the road (where the joint from the asphalt and concrete meet) anyway I told him that it was city property and they would take care of it. I'll talk to my customer and let them know about it but as far as me being thrown in jail by the end of the month they issue citations here first.