1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Now what? Found FC85 for $90 less than I paid this a.m.!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jun 29, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This morning I picked up my new Stihl FC85 edger for $369. I tried it at the dealer before I bought it, it was a brand new one never started up straight off the shelf. I paid for it and went on my way. I didn’t even use it the whole day after that (was hauling mulch and pea gravel all afternoon). Well this evening on my way home I had to stop at the Ace hardware store. I remembered that they sold Stihl so I meandered over to the 2 cycles before leaving the store… just to check out their selection I guess… well guess what, they had the FC85 on the shelf for $369, but had a sale tag on it for $279!!!! $90 less!!!! For $90 I could have bought a string trimmer head attachment for my new edger!!! What should I do? Again I haven’t used it since I paid for it, but this isn’t like WalMart with an open door return policy. I think I’ll politely call them in the morning (dealer) and explain that I saw the same thing for $90 less and I can’t just throw away $90 and I’d like it if they could cut a better deal, at least meet me partway on the price or give me a really sweet deal on the string trimmer head for it (at cost maybe?). They probably will say, well you should have shopped before you bought and that it’s my problem and they wont’ take it back, but I hate to pass up $90. Now, I bought my FS80 from the dealer 2 years ago and have never had a single problem with it. the dealer isn’t top notch but they’re ok I guess. I know that they know what they’re doing when they work on stuff and I’m afraid that the mechanic at the hardware store may just be one of the kids that works there that gets assigned to fix people’s stuff and I’m afraid they may not be prompt or good with warranty work. they came in after I bought the FS80 and I don’t really know anyone that has bought from them and dealt with warranty repairs there. I really have no loyalty when it comes to dealers to be honest. I go for the best value, which to me is the best combination of price and service during warranty period. After warranty they won’t see the machine again anyway probably as I’ll either fix it myself or take it elsewhere. Thing I do not like about this dealer is they don’t really give priority to commercial cutters (I doubt that the hardware store does either though). I went to the dealer for the machine not the service. I love my Stihl’s.

So, given the above info, what would you do?
  2. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

call him up and see what he sayshell do for you id ither gofor a full return or gowith he string trimmer attachment since you havent used it yet you probably have room to work with but have you put gas in it??? well if the dealer is any good he will work something out with you good luck!!!
  3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Return it and get your money back. And then swear to one and all that you will never complain about someone that is not full service, or is a scrub, under bidding you on a customer that you have been servicing for last two years. Even though you take care of the after warranty work yourself do you expect the dealer to stock the parts you need?
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

that sucks, hopefully they will cut you a deal... but why didnt you get the 110 4mix? my 4mix edger was 379, for 10$ more you could have had more torque and power!!!!!!
  5. Turf Medic

Makes you wonder what the other dealers call a dealer that is willing to come down on price or throw in freebies. Think they have a "Dealersite" and all the dealers that are willing to "work" something out with the customer get called scrubs :D. Really Eric you made the deal, should have done your homework first, if you had seen that the machine was $90 more at the Ace Hardware would you have called the dealer and offered to "work" with him you know a little extra. No different that an customer that bails on you after you spend some time explaining what work needs to be done, agrees to the price and then finds someone cheaper. JMO
  6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Don’t be a smart aleck. They haven’t seen my trimmer in two years since I bought it. I just had them tweak the carb today and I bought a new air filter and prefilter for it. I can get those parts at a few other places and I can tweak the carb just fine myself but I thought since I’m already there and it’s still under warranty I’ll let them do it. I could care less about loyalty. My customers can shop for value (price, job quality and service) all they want. They will find lots of cheaper people but they either won’t do as good of a job or they won’t treat the customer as good. Usually both. I have had my customers tell me that too. I treat dealers the same way. If one is as good as another but cheaper, he’ll get my business. If one treats me better but cost more, he’ll get it. the thing is, I don’t really think I “need” this dealer, and even if I did, I don’t think he treats me better than the hardware store guy. I’m only concerned with warranty work. as for loyalty, I don’t care not one bit. Your comparing apples to oranges anyways. They’re selling a product, I’m selling a service. You can say yeah they’re selling service too, but it’s warranty work I can get done at any dealer. Even if there was no warranty on it at all, I would not need to spend $90 within a year’s time anyway (if so, I got a lemon). i don't owe the dealer nothing (they have never bent over backwards for me or anything on other issues). I go to far lengths to take care of my customers and they know it. They don't owe me anything either. We get paid for what we do and there aren't any "favors" this is a biz. Business is Business, to coin an old phrase. I hate it when guys like you give an analogy like that (dealer vs. our customers). That is so stupid. Get lost.

Sorry for being rude, but I can’t stand that sort of talk. No hard feelings, but don’t feed me that stuff anymore, Ok? I just don’t like it.

The 4 mix is not that cheap here. I can't remember off of the top of my head. I like this one in that it is identical to my trimmer so parts are the same. I'll let them get ALL of the bugs out of the 110 4 mix even though I haven't heard anything but good of them.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yeah well I'd totally forgotten that the hardware sold Stihl until I was in there for an electrical plug. I know the hardware is not giving the unit away, they are still making some profit. The dealer has room to play. they usually charge somewhat high on all their stuff. We'll have a nice little chat in the morning.
  8. Turf Medic

Not to piss you off but how is it different, you are selling a product also, the main difference is you probably have a better margin than the dealer has. Don't really care which way you go with this, to be honest with you I haven't seen very many of your posts complaining about "scrubs". However it will be interesting to see how many people that are always whining about not being able to compete, and how their prices are getting cut by the scrubs, will reply and tell you that you have to take it back screw the dealer. How dare you shop for a better deal :D
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just like car dealers,they get bonuses for quantity of units sold as well as their usual 20% on stihl equipment.
    If they need the quantity then it gets sold cheaper.
    Tell the dealer what you found,if he won't at least try to work with you then get your money and go to ace.
    You really should have looked around first,once the deal is done it should stay done but I would try to get something out of the dealer just for the fun of the deal.......................
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I never mind paying extra if I get more in return. That is why I spent the extra money and got the FC85 instead of the FC55 edger. That is why I spent much more money on the Ferris instead of a cheaper mower that size. I thought, and still do, that I got more in return for the higher cost. But, I already know the dealer enough to know that I am not going to get much more from them than this hardware store. They never go out of their way to help me with anything and don’t give priority to commercial cutters. The hardware can’t be any worse, and the price is much much better. Besides, their mechanics have to be certified by Stihl to do warranty work and even though they aren’t as experienced as the dealer, they aren’t going to be TOO bad are they really now? I don’t think I am getting $90 worth more in service, and definitely not in product. I’ll flat out tell them what I think of the whole deal and if I have to, I’ll tell them what I just told you, that I don’t think their service is that great. I absolutely love the Scag/Echo dealer in town, they are AWESOME for commercial cutters, I could go on and on. But I don’t like Echo!!!!