1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nowing by Dummies...me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jun 7, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've been meaning to ask you this ? for some time...sometimes we get in a hurry or just get braindead from working too many hours like this spring..so...how many of you have zoomed off the trailer, zoomed onto the turf, turned the blades on and 5 or 10 or minutes later or longer realize you forgot to lower the deck from the transport position. Last week I did it a couple of times!!...what a moron!! I have to laugh at myself for being such an idiot. Hope I'm not the only one to do this occasionally...if I am, I might need some medication!..lol
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!!!!:D :D

It has happened to me also. I will be mowing and realize that it is cutting extra good in the thick long grass, and after some time realize and look at the numbers on the side of handle that raises the deck, it is in transport position...:eek: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can count on one hand (and have a couple of fingers left over) the number of times in the last 9 years of cutting that I have left some area of a lqwn uncut. Day before yesterday (Thursday) I did it 3 times on 3 different lawns...duh. Good thing I have great help that pointed it out to me LOL.
  4. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

same here, it happens. Try mowing greens at a golf course before lit isd light out side only to find out on your 6th green your reeels are not coming on. That was fun.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've hopped out of the truck and started cutting the WRONG yard once, ....ok...twice. And once or twice I've kinda zoned, and went way over into neighbors yard, just cutting away. They come out with a puzzled look on their face, and then it all becomes clear to me, and I embarassingly wave and ask how low they want it. lol
  6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i cant tell you how many times i've had to make my initial outer run around the yard twice cause the first time i got back to point A only to find i didnt lower the deck :rolleyes: . let me know what kind of medication works best :D
  7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Bordering a lawn the other day, I raise deck to go over a root.... and apparently forget to put it down...... i was only 1/4 of the way around when I did it, and didn't realize until I had bordered everything and got back to that spot.......
    wow... felt stupid.......

Then I mow across the street and do the exact same thing again.....

wow... felt reallly stupid:help:
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

try hydro seeding a yard and realising when you get done that the seed is still on the back of the truck and that you forgot to put any in the tank.
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there is one property in particuluar that i sometimes forget a portion on cause its so big. i usually realize it when i park the machine and think "hmm, i made good cutting time on that today" then as you're trimming notice a large section of uncut grass.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've never forgotten to lower the deck on the Grasshopper, but for some reason I've forgotten twice with the Gravely this year. I caght the mistake only after a few feet.