NPR fuel mileage?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gcbailey, May 22, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

We're strongly thinking about adding a NPR to the fleet toward the end of the season or over the winter. This would be replacing a 1 ton Chevy dually w/flat bed and 16' trailer. More than likely I'll go with an open bed and not a box. Probably a 14', 16' w/dove.

I'm more curious as to what kind of fuel mileage anyone is getting diesel vs. gas.... what size diesel? Also probably something 2005-newer.

A typical load would be a 60" ZTR, 48" walk behind, 1, 2-21" push mowers, couple trimmers, cans, 2, 3 crew.

2. burnthefurniture

burnthefurniture LawnSite Member

I have no experience with diesel, but we have a 96 NPR 5.7 gas and a 2005 NPR HD 6.0 gas. Both are 14' stakebody flatbed dump trucks we use for hauling bulk material, broken concrete, sod, etc. They seem to get about 7.5-8 mpg in town. I drive these trucks on the highway so rarely I don't even have a gas mileage number. Our typical loads are very close to GVWR, so around 6000 for the HD and a little less for the regular NPR.

While the MPG isn't terrific, compared to my 1 ton chevys, its close. The 99's get around 9-10, and my 2011s get about 10-10.5 unloaded or towing 10k. Maneuverability with the isuzus is stellar. Also, for what it is worth, the newer models have 6 spd transmissions, which may help with mpg some. Both of mine have 4 speeds.

3. burnthefurniture

Also, maintenance on these trucks is a breeze as they have the same powertrain platform as my other chevy trucks. Either 5.7 350 or 6.0 gas motors.

4. gcbailey

from WV

thanks. I was figuring the newer 6.0 gas engines were the same as the Chevy's since GM owns part of Isuzu... Is the 6 speed the Allison transmission?

Maneuverability is another reason I'm looking at one. Not only is one truck (1 ton 8 liter) getting way up there in mileage, It's on a route that has some really "interesting" places to try and get a 16' trailer.

5. burnthefurniture

I believe the Allison 6 speed is reserved specifically for chevy and gmc trucks and is only mated with duramax engines. The gas isuzus are the only ones that share chevy power train components. The diesels I believe are all Isuzu with aisin transmissions I believe. The 6 speed in the gas NPR is the same mated to the 6.0 in 2500 and 3500 hd trucks. Chevy calls it their 6l90e. It seems to be a very strong transmission in our 2011.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gcbailey

from WV

I'm definitely going to have to start shopping around and seeing if I can find anything within a few hundred miles... Replacing a truck and 60" ztr this year both... There is an outfit based about 100 miles from here that does shopping centers and they have NPRs, I've never been able to get to talk to them to see how they like them, but I would say in general the NPR is a platform that's been around forever and you see them on everything.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we have a 2013 fuso super lawn truck it averages 13mpg

8. gcbailey

from WV

that's not bad, diesel I assume on the Mitsu?

9. burnthefurniture

Another thing to consider is the return on your investment. I'm assuming the Mitsubishi is diesel to get 13, but just a note to the op, keep in mind how far you drive. If you are a high mileage outfit and plan to keep your truck for a long time, the upfront cost, maintenance cost, higher fuel cost, and higher repair costs could be justified. I can't justify that as my 05 has only 36000 miles currently. That motor will far outlast the truck and I don't spend enough in fuel to justify the more expensive motor right now. Just food for thought.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

It is no choice with fuso. That said we keep our trucks forever so the cost will be spread out over 1.5-2 decades.
    Posted via Mobile Device