NPR: gas or diesel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HLM86, Mar 30, 2008.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

Which one and why? Thanks for any replys.

2. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

gas unless u drive over 50,000 miles a year ask you isuzu dealer the new gas units are good for 200,000 miles according to them, just bought new crewcab gas and love it very quit plenty of power and 6000 dollars cheaper call jamie at adobe equipment center or look at mine plus gas is cheaper than diesel right now

3. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to what he said. We ordered a gas isuzu that is due in any day now. Unless you are putting a lot of miles a year on it, the difference in gas mileage, and the initial cost of getting the diesel doesnt make much sense.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Especially when diesel is more than a dollar per gallon more, not to mention the 5k+ extra for the engine.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

what kind of mileage do both get?

6. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I was told by the dealer that a gas will get 8-10 mpg, and a diesel will get about 10-12 mpg. The only advantage I see in the diesel is that they are supposed to be able to last to like 300,000 miles, so would this be worth looking at a diesel?

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

If there any more than 4k more then no, i dont think so.

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I get 14 mpg in my npr hd turbodiesel!

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I subcontract my lawn spraying out, local company has two of the new 6.0 300hp gas Isuzu NPR's. I talk with the owners weekly, and they are looking at starting to switch back to the NPR diesel, just basically said not happy with the gas model NPR vs Diesel NPR. Get the diesel NPR it's worth the extra money. Even with diesel at 3.98 gallon diesel is a heavier, denser fuel: 147,00BTU's per gallon, vs gasoline lighter/less dense 135,000BTU's gallon, again at $3.98 here in memphis, diesel power is more bang for the buck, your resale value for a new NPR diesel purchase will not depreciate like a gasoline model will. Most will not admit it, but a well maintained diesel will cost less in overall cost of ownership, than a comparable gasoline equipped vehicle.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

What?!?! Maybe with these cab over trucks, I really wouldnt know but with regular trucks thats the opposite of the truth.