NPR MPG... Huh?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ayoung1, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ayoung1

ayoung1 LawnSite Member

I have done a few searches for fuel economy of the Isuzu NPR's with the 4 cyl turbos and have come up empty handed. For those of you who own the turbo 4 Isuzu NPR could you tell me what kind of MPG you are getting? I am looking at a 1995 NPR (16' enclosed box) with a turbo 4 (120,000 miles) and would like to know if I will be improving my current fuel economy of 10 MPG. Thanks...
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I don't know about models that old, but 14 MPG in the city is about normal for mine. I don't know how much difference the box makes because mine have the open landscape beds.

I'm sure I could get better MPG if I was the one driving because I'm sure the help doesn't care.
  3. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Don't know about the diesels but I just pick up one well it's a w3500 GMC with the 325 hp motor and it gets 14mpg.. I think thats real good. I also have a Chevy 3500 with a Dmax they gets 10 pulling the same load as this truck W3500..
  4. ayoung1

ayoung1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your quick responses. Looks like I will indeed improve my MPG. If anyone else has experience with an NPR with a box please let me know. Thanks..
  5. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

met a guy the other day from Idaho that had an older dodge diesel (without the computer) and he was getting over 30mph. He was telling me all the add ons he put on it, but he only spent $2000 to do it. I thought it was pretty cool. He was the cheapest transporter to Canada we could find by a huge margin, and I was asking how he did it...... You might look at an older dodge and call parley's diesel performance off the net to rig it up, thats what he said he did... My mega cab gets over 23mpg, but it only cost me $1100 or so to do it, my next step was a propane system to bump it up another 15% or so...
  7. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

2007 NPR HD, 5.2L diesel, 12ft. landscape dump box.

11mpg unloaded at 60mph (flat ground, cruise on)
    11-12mpg city with a trailer and equipment.

Not what I expected, but it is an extremely useful vehicle. If I were to do it over I'd get the NPR with the 6.0L gas engine or a 1 ton diesel truck with a dump bed. The diesel in the NPR is a little underpowered.
  8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2003 npr hd diesel, 3 speed (od) auto. I get about 14 mpg with an average daily payload of 1200 - 2000 lbs.
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

He obviously uses the oldest and cheapest method there is to improve mpg. It's the same method fishermen use to catch bigger fish, hunters use to shoot bigger game and college boys use to get more a$@ when they go to Florida on spring break. :laugh:
  10. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

OK, this is closest to what I have.. 2004 NPR HD 4.75L Diesel.

I just bought the truck a week ago and the 2 tankfuls that I've gone through tell me that I'm getting about 10 mpg. I'm not satisfied with this.

I do have an exhaust leak that is coming from the area around the turbo, I haven't pinpointed the exact spot yet, but there is black soot blowout marks around that area and its loud when I get on the accelerator.

Y'all think the exhaust leak or turbo leak could be causing a drop in mpg?

14 mpg would be great for me and what I'm doing.