1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NPR Open Landscape Body with Side Dump leafbox (pictures)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Bay de Noc Lawn Car, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Okay so I have been holding out on you all for a few years thinking I might patent this and make a mint, but I will never get around patenting this so here are some pictures. I built this landscape bed 5 years ago and it still seem to be a pretty unique design.

Features include:
    Dove tale ramps
    Side dumping leaf/debris/mulch box/ plant hauler with removable sides make the bed competently open.
    Built in leaf loader.
    I can fit 2 60" grasshoppers and still have the box sides on for hauling plants ect.
    Fold down solid sides on most areas of the flatbed for loading pallets.

The dump mechanism is a kit designed for a pickup truck that actually fits between the frame rails of the truck and dumps light loads in about 10 seconds. Having a shorter lift allows the dump to be lower and at the same level as the rest of the bed. When I build this I thought I would take the box sides on and off, but discovered that inside the box was an excellent place to haul plants.

The Dump is about 5'X5'X8' and the over bed is 21'. Having the long bed allows me to get two 61" Grasshopper mid mounts front to back or my 35hp Bobcat compact tractor with loader and box blade (ct235) while still having the front leaf box on.

I have found this to be a very efficient setup and for both landscaping and especially lawn maintenance.

I realized after I started this post that I do not have very show pictures. Please pardon the dirt (I live on the end of dirt road) and the rust (i need to paint the bed before spring.

2. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

More pictures

3. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I must say that I am very impressed with your set up.... I have seen similar set ups but never with a permanent loader attached.... That would be very, very handy for a multitude of applications.. Heavy spring growth on lawns is a big one that I can think of.... dump the grasshoppers right at the truck then suck it up huh? Cool....
  4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I am impressed myself. Nice setup. If you don't mind me asking how much did that truck with the side dump cost you?
  5. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

I only leave the trac-vac leaf loader on the truck for spring and fall cleanups as I refuse to bag at any other time of year. I had thought about trying to mount the leaf loader underneath the bed of the truck but that would have make the discharge tube a lot more complicated, and living on a mud road it would be caked with mud 90% of the time.

Super Lawn Trucks makes dedicated side dumps, but all of the ones I have seen pictures of have to be loaded by hand with no way of blowing into the box. Other landscaper beds with dumps have the detachable dove tail and then a flatbed dump witch does not make much sense for lawn cleanups and most other lawn work, though could be better for heaver landscape work.

When I bought this truck it had a van body on it and I ripped that off and made this bed myself. I would guess that it cost me about $3000 5 years ago for the materials. I wanted to buy a SLT but could not justify the price and I think this truck is more efficient for what I do with it.
  6. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Would you post some picture of the box in the dump position,
  7. tyslawnservice

tyslawnservice LawnSite Member

hey i 2nd the request for more pics! i'm thinking of doing the same thing with a isuzu flat bed! would really be interested in the whole hinge and dump system.

i did a box truck build a few years ago and am looking for a way to hall 2 walkers at the same time. i have a link in my signature.

also how long is the ramp/dove tail.

pm tyslawnandsnow@gmail.com if you want to do it that way
  8. tyslawnservice

also gvw..
  9. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Okay, I will post some more pictures in about two weeks when it is warm enough to get the truck out of the shed and repaint the bed. Right now I have about 4 feet of snow on the ground yet so I am not in a big hurry. The GVW is 12000, which the next one I put on a cabover will be a 18000 gvw. I designed the dump portion of the bed pretty heavy to be strong enough to handle the dump. Empty the truck is around 9000 lb, thus I am limited on heavy loads. The tailgate is only 4ft and the dovetail is a little under 3ft; being so short the tailgate is light and easy to handle and is also strong enough I can run my Bobcat ct235 or Vermeer v420a trencher up it with no problems (about 4k lb). Mowers do bottom out on the top of the of the dovetail, so I would recommend making the ramp slightly less steep for this reason.
  10. tyslawnservice

hey thanks for the reply. the dump, was it a scissor kit you can get off of northern tool?