1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

NPR or Enclosed 8.5 x 16

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by smcguirt, Jul 15, 2004.

1. smcguirt

smcguirt LawnSite Member

I have a 6x12 open trailer with racks and I have to load and unload the equipment every day. I want to get either an npr or an enclosed trailer. I would like to hear what you guys think pros and cons. I have a F250 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel so pulling an enclosed is not a problem.

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I think you'll probably get opinions favoring both options. Since you already have a powerful truck I can see why you might want to go the enclosed trailer route though. I don't have anything strong enough to tow a larger size enclosed trailer so I'd have to get a new truck as well. For me, spending less than $1000 for an open 6x12 to start made sense, but some of the larger enclosed trailers I've seen cost over 5 or 6k. There's no doubt they look really good when they're all lettered up, but that's still a lot of $ to spend for something that's just a big box on wheels.

I'm not big enough yet to need an NPR or a big enclosed trailer, but when the time comes I'm definitely leaning towards an NPR after reading about them on several sites and seeing pics of guys' rigs. The convenience and time saving really sold me on them.

3. HUGHES

HUGHES LawnSite Member
    from MS

This is my first year doing this part-time. I do not have a shop/garage to keep equipment in either. Bought an encloesed trailer and my 1/2 ton would not handle it empty very-well, then I started pricing used 3/4 ton and 1 tons - whoa, way too much. So I sold it and bought a used 95 NPR with a GM 350 gas burner. It has a 20ft bed, which you really only need a 16 or 18. I can get check the oil, jump in and be cutting in a matter of minutes.

I like the NPR!

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hughes, what did you pay for the '95 ?

5. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am in the same decision process for next year, and I am thinking about letting a crew do a fair amount of mowing without me. So I am leaning toward the stand alone truck, then there is no backing of the trailer for the crew. Just simpler and easier I think. Also it won't tie up my one ton dump which is what I usually use to pull the trailer. I have a bark blower which works well with the dump, and I make a fair amount of deliveries with the one ton so it would help me to have a seperate truck. I would be interested to know what you paid as well as picture as to how you have it set up, ramp etc. Is it an automatic? that would be even better to set up for a crew.

6. HUGHES

HUGHES LawnSite Member
    from MS

Found it out in Dallas, $7,500 for the truck. Then spent $800 or $900 to get ramp put on it.

7. HUGHES

HUGHES LawnSite Member
    from MS

Don't have a pic but yes it is auto. Tailgate is split with spring loaded hinges. My 17 year-old daughter can drive it.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an enclosed 6x12' trailer myself. I really like it ( apparently so do a lot of people around here) It keeps crooks at bay, will be a rolling billboard when I letter it, and it keeps my gear out of the weather.. my old 82' chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.2 diesel, 3.08 gears, and 700 r4 has no problems pulling it. If I had the money though, I'd already have an NPR or something similar. they get great mileage and the manueverability is good as well. I suppose I will keep the trailer, and get a better truck soon, as the ol' chevy is really tired and lookin' kinda ruff...

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a 82 1/2 ton with a diesel? never knew they put diesels in anything lass than a 3/4 ton. Learn somthing every day.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Was the first year for the six deuce.. and GM put diesels in 1/2 tons from 82 until the Duramax came out...They are pretty rare though.. Grandpa bought it new in 82. It needs LOTS of TLC, My grandpa is 93 and for the last 15 years he wasn't really able to take the best care of it. If I can ever get another truck, and a garage to work on it in, I'll fully restore it.