Npr towing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scott nelson, Apr 23, 2008.

1. scott nelson

scott nelson LawnSite Member

Give me an idea of what an npr with diesel can pull weight wise. I have a 14k dump trailer that I would like to pull with it. Only going to be hauling a max of 10k trailer and load. What results can I expect.
  2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever driven an NPR? Empty, they feel light, loose and underpowered. I haven't driven one loaded to the gills, but I'm guessing it would be heavy, underpowered maybe not so loose feeling though. If you try and stick any weight behind it....ya...good luck. I know for a fact that the VIN sticker on the door recommends no more than 6,000 lbs.

3. scott nelson

scott nelson LawnSite Member

I think the Isuzu's have plenty of power. You don't need 300hp to tow with. I have owned an isuzu since 2001, so yes I know how they drive and handle. Never really towed anything with it though till now.

Please someone with some experience respond to this!
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

According to Isuzu's website, all their N-series trucks, gas or diesel, are rated to tow 6,000 lbs. when fully loaded to their GVWR. So, an NPR-HD with a GVWR of 14,500 has a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 20,500 lbs. If the truck is only loaded to 10,500 gross weight, then you could tow 10,000 lbs. without exceeding weight ratings.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have a couple NPRs and an FRR. For some reason, I just don't think they pull that well. But you put the load on the truck and they do fine. If you weren' doing alot of interstate it would be alright... if you are you might want a 1 ton truck.
  6. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

It took me a couple of times reading this to get what you ment.

the GVWR is 14,500. Isuzu says it will trailer 6000. So those two combined would be a GCWR of 20500. If he wanted to haul 10000 then 205000 - 1000 = 10500 weight of the truck. What does the N series HD weigh with full tank of gas, operator, and stuff that he normally carries on the truck? I would assume it is less than 10500. If so, he should be all right weight wise, but power and driving, I don't know.

I have a Nissian UD-2000 and I just started pulling a trailer with it. I know it was back there, but that could have been the 30 mph head wind I had coming home.