NPR Type Truck vs Pick up trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kyfirewood, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kyfirewood

kyfirewood LawnSite Member

Ok, I am looking at some point to purchase a used truck. I currently use a pick up to tow a 16' open trailer. I have considered an Isuzu NPR type truck. Looking for input on pros and cons of this type truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. kyfirewood

kyfirewood LawnSite Member

Oh btw, I will be hauling a front mount Grasshopper and Scag V-Ride
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

I switched over to an NPR a couple of years ago and found that unless you have a shop full of tools and experience its almost near impossible to find parts and work on these things. We found that you just can't run down to the nearest oreillys to pick up a part. Almost everything (other than oil/fluid changes) had to be ordered from the dealer when it broke and always took a week or so.. Your situation may be different, but that one difference we weren't expecting.

Will you just be using this for mowing? Or will you be doing mulch and landscape installs with this? How do you currently do leaves?
  4. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I'm lucky I have the gas powered NPR and for drive train I can run in O'reillys for parts... Finelly started getting decent gas mileage and save a few hundred a week compared to my 3/4 ton dodge... Pros you can turn on a dime... don't have to have 8-10 tires burning up every time you drive... Parts are very excessable on line...Cons Some more specific parts can only be bought at dealer... not many people want to touch to work on...
    Just look on line and you can find npr grave yards and you can buy used parts at a fair price... Might take some looking but they are out there...
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Few hundred dollars? IFF so, how many miles does it take to save few hundred??
  6. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

I was filling the dodge up 2-3 time a week at a $100+ per fill up and the NPR is ever 10 days right now for around $80 per fillup.
  7. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

I second vanncann: both my Mitsubishi and Ford LCF get excellent fuel mileage. My 3/4 ton ram 2500 drank $130 of diesel every 2 1/2 days. The Mits runs through $80 of diesel every two weeks. LCF runs through $100 of diesel every 10-11 days. These trucks are good on the bottom line
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jeclark609

jeclark609 LawnSite Member

we switched to the flat beds years ago and have never hooked up a trailer since! Virtually zero problems! Really makes the day easier, whether its a mowing day or mulch and landscape.
    Great deals on these at Neely Coble in Tenn and tons of used parts from Dons in Lebanon, Tn
  9. bolc5150

bolc5150 LawnSite Member

Wow, did I get on at the right time or what? I too am looking into an npr. I have a 1 ton duramax and getting 15mph pulling 16ft enclosed.. I am leaning toward gas though, as said above finding someone to work on a diesel 5.2 might be harder than a 6.0 gas. My question is.....what kind of ramp do you guys use? Dove tail? I was quoted about 2500.00 to convert from lift gate to dtail. Thougts?????
  10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought an NPR last week. I did have an f350 with a 20ft enclosed trailer. Let me tell u that it is the best thing since slice bread. You will not know how nice it really is to have an NPR unless u get one. I will never go back to pulling a trailer again. I wont have to replace trailer tires and take wide turns again. Look on craigslist for one. Thats what I did