npr vs BIG flatbed modified

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Acute Cut, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so here's the deal. NPR's around here are expensive and even the used ones are big pieces of Crap around here too. So i was talking to a friend and he said i should toss a van body on a one ton dodge. Says he has seen em before. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, the frame would have to be lengthened a bit for a 14 footer or maybe a little for a twelve footer, but it seems ALOT cheaper than an isuzu. Am REALLY curious as to yalls thoughts. thanks for your time.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

that seems like a lot of headaches down the road versus just spotting the extra cash upfront to buy the right equipment the first time.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

They sell 1 & 1 1/2 ton trucks already with a box on it LOL. Talk to a commercial fleet truck dealership.

4. Acute Cut

Well, here's a twist. I just called the state patrol office Equipment and Standards division and got some interesting facts. I can lengthen my flatbed on my 3500 as long as it does NOT exceed 15 ft from the center of my rear axle. HMMMMMMMMMM, kind seems easier now to just lengthen it to make one of them landscaper bodies with the dove tails on it now. I can get an almost 20ft bed if i wanted. hehe.

or am i just thinking this seems too easy? Am i missing something? I would trust a dodge ram 3500 over any isuzu personally.

5. Acute Cut

If that is the case i will be pissed. Not ONE person has suggested such a thing. Got a link to any pics per chance?

I feel an ass chewin comin on. lol

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

sorry i thought you meant a box truck from what it sounded like. ignore the above post then. Look at what GLS posted LOL. that's sweet!

9. Acute Cut

Well, originally i was. But i found out i could just extend the bed and make that "work" for right now. I think i want to really try operating without a trailer for a bit before i really commit to a serious rig. I can modify a flat bed fairly cheap to make it work. I was thinking about a 16 ft bed with a two foot tail and ramp. That will let me "try" out the no trailer deal to see how i can handle with out. Its like imagining life without coffee to me. YIKES! lol.

Thanks for the reply guys. Some of them links dont work no more. Just letting yall know. I found a 96 3500 ram with 40136 miles on it. Sweet condition. Is only 11K. I think i can talk him down too. And the wheel base is really long. Only thing i dont like for an around town mowing truck is that it is a 10cylinder. GAS CHUGGER i think. NOt sure though. My last big obstacle to hurdle before buying the rig is to ask my wife................... SIGH.

Wish me luck. Oh, and to make it interesting to ask, she's 5 months pregnant. lol.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

V10 is a gas engine. The only diesel in a Dodge is the inline 6 cylinder diesel Cummins. The V10 gas is thirsty but I know a couple guys with them in their 3500 dually's and they love them. Will pass everything but a gas station LOL.
    good luck lol.