Numb hand

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Apr 8, 2005.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Ok, I knew this work was gonna be tough, so I went out and got me a commercial Stihl FS110 trimmer that is awesome. It is a bit heavy but I'm getting stronger doing this work and have learned to let the unit just hang and cut weeds as it should. However, if there are alot of weeds to cut on some of my commercial sites (3 of them), my right hand is going numb while pulling the trigger on the trimmer after a few minutes. Today I woke up and my hand was tight and felt swollen even. Anyway, am I gonna end up with Carpel tunnel syndrome or whatever it's called? If I switch hands with the trimmer, I'm not as coordinated using it in the other hand. Just curious if others have experienced this while working hard with a trimmer?

Thanks,

Adam

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I switch hands. You'll get better on the left side with practice.

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a pair of mechanix impact gloves they are about $35 but worth every penny the absorb alot of vibration .

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I work very hard with a trimmer.
    I hardly ever feel pain, but if i did, the work needs to be done anyways

I probably will get carple tunnel eventually.
    owell

5. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I get the numb feeling every now and then......i just let go of the trigger and wiggle my fingers and it goes away.

6. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I see a lot of guy's that pump the throttle a lot. I just hold the trottle at half speed and try not to keep moving the throttle. Also, take a quick break, wiggle your fingers, etc

Greg

7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a disease called Rainards, I know this is speeled wrong, but that is the way it is pronounced. It is caused by using vibratory equipment and is very commom in the lawn industry and the carpentry industry. It can get progessively worse in time. It affects me in all my fingers. They go numb and get very cold to the touch, even whil I am just driving at times. The use of gloves helps tremendously, not only to softem the vibration, but by keeping your digits warmer.

8. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of them. My problem is that I already knew I had a type of nerve condition (neuropathy they called it, even though I passed the test for it) where my hands and feet will sometimes fell tingly. I was afraid I had MS or something but all tests were negative. It seems that if I do nothing I get even more stiff and tingly sometimes. I just was curious if my right hand was going more numbish because of my pre-existing condition or if this is common amongst lawn industry workers. Sounds like it is common. I'll probably look into those gloves.

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

usually bothers my wrist, haven't found a way to eliminate it yet, the part that worried me is that it might be getting a little worse,as I type this I can feel one wrist twinge a little. I'm 24 and a little worried to think of what the future might bring but I don't know of any way to make money without working.Maybe double prices and retire early. Yeah right.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right you sometimes feel it in your fingers and it is really your wrist and carple.This is nothing to igrore,it can lead to veryt painfull days and nights that you can't sleep cuz of the pain.I suggest to you guys that you wear the vibration gloves but also a carple support that keeps your fingers supported as well as your wrist,or if you cant find a carple support wear a wrist support then.You wear the carple even at night to keep you from curling up your fingers.They are in any drugstore or medical supply store.