Numb Hands

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey

I have seen a few posts on this but am wondering the best type of gloves to get. What else would I need to do to prevent carple tunnel and stop the numbness in my hands. There are some days that the fingers I use to pull my pull string are just throbbing and feel numb. I try switching hands and then those fingers get the problem.

Thanks
    BJ

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

You might try some anti-vibration/gel pack gloves when using your equipment. It may help.

3. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

My hands are numb, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. My hands are usually sore and stiff also. I am a one man operation so I mow, trim and blow all by myself. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

GEEZE guys....what mowers are you using that cause this!?

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Pistol grips might be the cause. I guess I don't mow enough as of yet to notice it though but it will probably show sooner or later! Not that I want it to!!!

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I get that, but not too bad, from my snow blower but my buddy can't work more than a couple hours on it with out hands numbing up. I think its the person as well as the equipment, some people are more susceptable and some equipment vibrates more.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mowers shouldn't!

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

No i haven't had a problem with my mower ( toros 21") but my snow blower is 27" and 10.5HP or something and it has pistol grips and vibrates like crazy. It's a NOMA.

I've read on this forum ppl complaining about other lawn equipment that vibrates like trimmers or edgers (forget which) but I don't have a problem with those either.

9. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Ok, the reality is that the hand – arm vibrations are a pretty serious problem, but largely ignored or de- emphasis in the US.

There are a number of good write ups available on the Internet, including this government site in the UK: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg296.pdf

While many of the trimmers and blowers are available with AVS, most of the mowers have no significant AVS provisions. Even on a $10k mower, the engine is mounted straight to the frame.

I just don’t get how Stihl can put anti vibration mounts into a home owner chain saw, but professionals accept that Honda mounts the engine straight to the chassis on their commercial 21 mowers. $10 worth of AVS would make a world of difference.

At the end, it is really up to us. If we keep buying mowers from companies that don’t provide sufficient measures against the hands – arm vibration, it is our fault. The OSHA equivalent is Europe requires that all mowers list the vibrations category and this determents basically how long the equipment can be used every week.

$10 worth of Anti Vibrations Systems can make a world of difference. A doctor visit is at least $100. How much sense does this make??

John

10. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^Sounds like you are trying to make a political movement out of AVS.

Anyways, try taking some tylenol or something before you start the day. It may help.