Number of accounts to keep 3 guys busy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Oct 28, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

How many residential accounts would keep three guys busy for an average of 40 hours per week. I am basing an average account in my area at 12,000 ft of lawn, yearly cleanups and mulch.

2. dmk395

from Ma

Forgot to add this one. Have 2 Exmark 48" mowers for the grass, 2 trucks and assorted other tools.

3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I dont belive a number will do you any good. The size of each one is more important. I know you said residential but residentials we handle range from 25.00 to 160.00 so to say a number is impossiable. I know another situation where a freind of mine has one account that keeps for guys busy, all year. So for them one account...it is such a open question. You need to know your own productivity levels.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We discussed this yesterday in a different post somewhere by accident, but I'll repeat a little bit of it.

Studies and polls have shown that a 2 man crew for lawn maintenance is more productive. Productivity on the 3rd man is not the same as when adding a 2nd man, know what I mean?

Maybe for the mulching beds, cleanups, etc, but I would say go with 2 men on the maintenance crew.

5. dmk395

from Ma

Guido I think you may be correct. Nonetheless sometimes I will need to run a 3 man crew due to certain logistics.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hard to say.

12,000 sq ft ain't that much here. My average lawn is double that and my average time is around 25 minutes by myself. With one helper I can do them in 15-18 minutes.

You'll have 3 men so depending on how fast they are you should be able to knock these out in 10 minutes or so.

120 man hours a week.

Average lawns per hour should be at least 4 with travel time I would think, possibly 5 or 6 if they were really close.

The bottom end would be 480 yards!

I would back it down to 2 men and use a 3rd as a part timer.

Can you round up this many accounts?

If you could would you want to?

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you come up with that number?

At 4 an hour would be 32 a day
    At 5 an hour would be 40 a day
    At 6 an hour would be 48 a day

Bottom end I assume you mean the 4 an hour. So the 32 a day.

5 days a week. 32 * 5 = 160 a week

So....<b>160 weekly accounts</b> or <b>320 every two weeks accounts</b>

It would have to be 6 an hour (48 a day) every two week accounts for 480 accounts.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Gee Alan, you got me again!

I did 120 hrs @4 an hour. Should have divided that by 3 people huh?

Thanks for keeping me in line.

9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Again? I don't remember the first time, but your welcome.

10. dmk395

from Ma

I see your point Homer. However a few hundred lawns seems inconprehensible when you figure they are full service. How bout an adjustment for that. I was figuring about 80 accounts. 2 man mowing crew knocks out 20 per day, 4 days a week. 1 man crew works on landscape projects etc, 5 days. on fifth day mowing crew joins landscape crew. sat is for catchup, maintenance and paper work.