Number of cleanups??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Newbie07, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Ok here goes another leaf cleanup question but i read every dang page and didnt find my answer. . .how many clean ups am i going to do, or rather, how many do ya'll do? I'm in Texas and i figure that it varies from person to person, and from client to client but i was looking for some opinions. Do i do one big one when they all fall or can i do it once a week, every two weeks. Also, im going to purchase a 5X10 and build sides for it to haul leaves, and also buy the Stihl BR 600 and blow and tarp. I'm looking for some opinions. Thanks you guys!!

Travis

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do all of mine when all the leaves fall, or when it's going to snow in about 10=15 days.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We do ours weekly and just run over the lawn with gator blades and a mulch kit. On some of our lawn if we waited till all the leaves fall they might be a couple feet deep.

4. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

You will find that you will be asked by 80% of of your res. customers to do there fall or spring clean up, good choice on the blower thats what i use works Great!!!

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Not many in this area this year because the weather has been bad and not looking good for a another week. We try and get around 50-70 done before turkey day:)

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I start my cleanups right around halloween depending on weather. Go just about 6 days a week right up to thanksgiving for regular customers, call-ins are dealt with after the regulars and will go up to the first major snow. If there is a big thaw and warm up I will do some more if possible.

This years arsenal:
    13hp Billy Goat Force, 10Hp Little Wonder, Shindaiwa EB8510, Echo PB750, JRCO Leaf plow on the Gravely 260Z

7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming that he is talking about how many clean-ups per customer/account.

I usually do two clean-ups from the lawns followed by a detailed clean-up of the landscaping and lawn at the very end of the season. I mulch the leaves and bag them with the mower. Fortunately most of my accounts with heavy leaves have locations in which I can dump on site. A real time saver for sure.

When I clean out the beds I use my Little Wonder and a pair of back pack blowers to push all the leaves into the lawn. I then use my 36" Scag (narrow deck which really spits out the mulched leaves) to mulch the piles up before vacuuming them into the bagger on the Z.

Of course, this is under ideal conditions. I have tried every trick in the book and usually employ other methods for different conditions. ie heavy leaves, wet leaves, frozen or snow covered leaves, mud, etc....

Hope this helps and good luck....

Brian

8. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Thanks Brian, that is a help and yeah im talking about the number of cleanups. Because im in Texas i dont have snow, lol or hardly even ice. so some guys said one big cleanup others said once a week. Ok let me throw something else at you guys. None of my accounts will be asking me to do leaves, i have told them i will come back and mow a little but they dont have big trees, so i will be passing out fliers in heavily wooded neighborhoods to keep myself busy over the winter. So im thinking that in Texas i could start int he first week of November and then go back to the house at the first of Dec. for the final cleanup of all the leaves??? What do you guys think. Thanks so much for the responses and assurance on the equipment (mr. budget)

Travis

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on the account, some of my reidentials in the older neighborhoods with mature trees will get 2-3 clean-ups, while others may only need 1. We mulch 'em till we can't. But when they get too heavy, we move them to the street and pick them up. (got a dump truck with tall sides that tows the municipal sized deisel vaccum!)

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys offer multiple leaf cleanup packages??? Meaning new clients that only want fall cleanup. How do you guys price those things?