Number of hours to be put on a demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrtenterprises, Sep 3, 2007.

1. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer gave me a demo Lazer, while he is replacing the spindles on my oldest HP. I have had the machine for 7 days now. We have put approximately 25 hours on the demo to date. The question is; How many hours is appropriate? I buy everything from this guy, and have for 7 years now. It's also the longest period I have ever had one of his demo machines.....
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd keep running it. No worries. That's what it is there for...
  3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that the dealers get these "demo units" at a special price and they are there for the reason you have it. Don't worry about the hours.

How many hour did you have on the unit that needs the spindles replaced?

Eric D
  4. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

I wouldnt worry about the amount of hour that you put on it. A friend of mine had a demo for about 2 months this season because theirs was in for service.
  5. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

That should be the least of your concerns. My problem with getting demos is that they often have the crap beat out of them. Our 48inch walkbehind came late this year, and Toro gave us a really crappy 48inch ZTR that didn't go stright and had some hydro issues with regard to power. I was pissed at my dealer for giving me the junk. I felt that after spending alot of money with him he should have got Toro to give us something that worked...
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would not worry about it. He has yours for 7 days and you are worried about hours on the demo? I would be asking what is going on with my mower and why I don't have it back yet.

7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

1375 hours, and two were shot so I replaced them all. 2001 Lazer hp. The machine I'm using has 75 hours on it. Why would I want to get my old machine back fast when we can use a new one for free?

My dealer is a great guy, and has always stood my me and his products. I would never abuse his generosity. It sounds as if some here are not so lucky.....
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Then why are you worried about how many hours you are putting on it then?It was if you were concerned on the hours that you put on a demo, cause they had your mower for so long. My attitude would be the same as yours though. They will call when it it ready is the way I look at it.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Seven days is not really a reasonable time frame to replace spindles.
    So the hours you are logging on the demo are his problem, not yours.

If he was worried about the hours you might be putting on the demo, he would have had his arse in gear and had yours finished.

My guess is that he's not concerned at all. You having the demo to use is affording him some pressure relief on getting your unit repaired.
  10. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

You are one less LCO your dealer has to contend with about repairs.
    I'm quite sure he knows you are still using the demo, and putting hours on it.
    Sounds like a continuation of the generosity you spoke of.

Mow on...dude.:walking: