Number of jobs per week

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Luke S., Jan 3, 2014.

1. Luke S.

Luke S. LawnSite Member

What's a good amount of lawns to try to get to keep one guy busy full time each week?
  2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on size of lawns.
    Better to decide based on revenue generated and time to generate it.
  3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Too many variables to say, I was by myself until I hit around 40 a week.
  4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Size of the property.

Solo or have a helper.

Home owner grade mower slow.

Commercial grade mower faster.

Size of mower deck.

Amount of drive time.

Total SF to be cut.

With the equipment I have and a mix of lawns from 1/6 acre to 1 acre. I can average 6 a day.

Though the number of lawns one does is the least important number out there. Everyone's route is and equipment is so different.

Instead of worrying about how many lawns you can do. A more important number is that you have 40 hours a week of billable labor every week.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I do about 50 a week myself. 10 a day is very manageable. When it rains I have to work the weekend though, and then that pushes back non-lawn related landscaping jobs.
  6. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on a lot of things.
  7. cpllawncare

When I was solo I allowed myself an hr per job including travel time so that gives me my 40 hrs a week, BUT and that's a BIG but, if it rained it threw me into the weekend, not as big a deal now that I have a separate design install crew, and the routes have been tightened allowing more time in the week along with additional equipt. I'll be selling more work this year so hopefully things will get tight again this year. At the end of last season we were getting the routes done in about three days so it's time to add more work again, and the cycle continues.
  8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I do around 40-50. It all depends on what I want to do. Work on hot rods, go fishing or anything else.
  9. cpllawncare

I think we're talking about the folks that are actually TRYING to build a business, not sitting back on their laurels.
  10. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL.. I haven't even bought a fishing license in the last 2 years no time. Bought a dirbike last year only got to ride it once or twice.