Number of Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rayray, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Rayray

Rayray LawnSite Member

why do i need more than one mower on a trailer,,,,with my 2-man crew, one guy trims and cleansup while the other mows,,,fitting 2 36" walkbehinds on our 5x10 trailer is hard to do,but possible,,,why do i see other solo or 2-man crews with three or more mowers???

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we usually run 2 walkers per crew. one breaks down we got another one with to push it on the trailer and keep mowing. also got some little back yards we have to use the small slow one on, but use the bigger faster one on everything else. several other reasons why multiple mowers works better for us on one or two man crews.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Productivity. I am most certainly not cutting an acre of grass with a 36" wb. Nor can I fit my 52" Great Dane through a 36" gate.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Because they fail to understand the concept of miles / gallon of fuel and how extra weight affects it.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omfg, like TWICE in 4 years did one of my mowers break to where I had to go get the other one, but no I don't keep a spare on the trailer, that's a waste in my business.

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 types of mowers on . I have a W/B and a Z. Z for large lawns and the w/b for small ones.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I would have to agree...

I saw a truck and trailer out a couple days ago... 2 exmark Z's and 2 exmark walkbehinds, trimmers and blowers, etc. 2 man crew. I'm thinking WTF?

8. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

theres this one guy who services 3 yards around me by himself and today his trailer was loaded 2 w/bs 1 Z and weed eaters galore and 2 backpack blowers and some other stuff and all he did was trim the hedges of all 3 yards. And im thinkin wow hes got to be crazy.

9. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

As a one man operation, I carry a 52" ztr, 48" wb, and a 21. This combination allows me the flexability to accomodate just about any lawn in my area. The z is used most often, the wb is used for some steeper hills and tightly landscaped properties where the z just doesn't fit well, and the 21 for the smaller gated lawns.

I agree about the small crews trailering 4 and 5 larger machines, and sometimes even a boatload of 21's? :dizzy: There are a few like that around here, and it just seems like overkill.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't talk. I'm guilty of that. I am a rolling shop. I carry 1 60" Lazer, 1 60" Gravely Promaster front deck rider, 1 trim mower, 2 blowers, 2 trimmers, hedgesaws (1 extended, 1 short), chainsaw, stickedger, and various other equip. I have done it for many years, and follow the words of my father..."It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it." Sometimes, I have the Gravely off the trailer, and the PermaGreen on.