1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Numbers game......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

All things being equal......

What is the average price PER SQUARE FOOT you are charging to mow, edge, trim and blow residential fescue yards on a weekly cutting schedule?
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

.004 cents per square foot as an average.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly, I have never priced out cutting per sqft. I base maintenance pricing strictly on time. Reason being, a wide open lawn with no obstacles could be less than a small sqft. lawn with many obstacles, simply due to the time it takes to complete mowing and trimming. :)
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Green Pastures

Did you mean 4/tenths of one cent per sq. ft., or 4 cents per sq. ft.?
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

If I calculated correctly.. the average would be .0014

I must be a lowballer :(
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omgawd why anyone even dreams of this pricing per square foot, that just boggles the mind, we're dealing with fractions of a penny, this would be like fueling up my car in ounces of fuel at a cost of 2.41 cents per ounce...
    But, lettuce humus ourselves...
    Ok so keep in mind where it says 0.30 cents that does NOT mean 30 cents it means 0.3 cents so a little under one THIRD of a penny. And this is a basic estimate not considering hard-core 15+ degree inclines, beer bottles, trees, or dead cats.
    1/4 acre is 30 so 10k sq. feet = 3000 cents / 10,000 = 0.30 cents / sq. foot?
    1/3 acre is 35 so 14k sq.ft. = 3500 cents / 14,000 = 1/4 cent / sq. foot.
    1/2 acre is 40 so 20k sq.ft. = 4000 cents / 20k = 1/5th of a penny.
    2/3 acre is 45 so 28k sq.ft. = 4500 cents / 28k = 0.16 cents / sq.ft.
    3/4 acre is 50 so 32k sq.ft. = 5000 cents / 32k = 0.15 cents / sq.ft.
    1 acre is 55 so 42k sq.ft. = 5500 cents / 42k = 0.13 cents / sq.ft.

Arrrg now there is no price per sq.foot, it varies as the yard gets larger, the price comes down but there's a guideline based on my prices which may or may not work for you...

So if someone calls me and they say they have, uhhhh, 16,500 sq. feet, it would be FAR easier for me to go LOOK at it (since I have to anyway, one person's 16.5 is another person's 1/4 acre and another's 1/2) because now, well, ok, I COULD price it at 1/4 cent / sq.foot and it would be = $41.25 which you COULD do it this way, I just can't deal with it because for my mind the first thing is much easier (i.e.: 1/4 acre = $30, etc).

If it's helpful, that's great, if not, well that's why I don't do it ;)
  8. Green Pastures

I can see this thread going down hill......

Listen if you don't bid by the sq ft, that's fine, neither do I.

BUT, I have a valid reason for wanting to know the simple answer to my question. I'm just betting that the AVERAGE per sq ft price is pretty close to being the same all over the country no matter the demographics. Play along if you want to but don't crap all over my thread please.

I'm no newbie lowballin scrub, so please refrain from the innuendo and just either answer the question or stay off the "submit" button....... mmmmmk?

Here's an easy solution.....take a cross section of at least one of each type of yard you cut. Big ones, small ones, hilly ones, flat ones, ones with trees and ones without, then ask yourself what your per cut charge is, divide that number by the square footage and type that number into your browser......

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I gave you the best answer I had based on my prices and I'm no expert but in order to figure the average between areas and dollars it is no simple matter of {(1/4 + 1/5) / 2} because you also have a difference in square footage so it's not as simple as it looks and you expect it all on a silver platter when all you had to do was figure it out yourself, hence the innuendos...

Really if I do it with 1/2 acre and a full acre, it goes like this:
    1/2 acre = .2 cents and 1 acre = .13 cents SO since 1/2 acre is HALF a full acre, you need to take TWICE the 1/2 acre price PLUS one time the full acre price like so: (2 x .2 + .13) / 3 = 0.17 cents (notice I divided by 3 and NOT 2) and this would be the AVERAGE between 1/2 acre and a full acre which is NOT the same as (.2 + .13) / 2 = 0.16 is WRONG answer, see.
    Now you got 1/3's and 1/4's and 1/2's and since you need to work off a whole, in thirds and quarters it's 3/3 and 4/4 so you'll need a base for all of it and that base is 12 because 2 and 3 and 4 ALL fits into 12 evenly thus you figure it out in fractions of 1/12ths, thus 1/3 = 4/12ths, 1/4 = 3/12ths, 1/2 = 6/12ths, and so on. Don't forget if in an example you use TRIPLE the price for a third and QUAD the price of a fourth you'll also have to divide accordingly in the end so if you (Y x 3 + Z x 4) = W, then that already adds up to SEVEN units (3+4=7) so for an average, you'd W / 7 and you can figure out the rest yourself.

Far as the innuendos, the following did not help:
    Did you mean 4/tenths of one cent per sq. ft., or 4 cents per sq. ft.?
    Because it's ALL fractions of a cent.
    And THIS is the way I post and THIS is way I type but yes I did kind of wonder if you were new because it's an off-the-wall question, sorry about that and now I'll stay out of your thread, ought to send you a bill for 50 dollars :p
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Count me among those who base estimates on the amount of time needed to do the job. I think time is a valid metric, much more so than price per square foot.

One reason for that is related to some of the discussions of fenced-in back yards. We all know how much more work these lawns entail. If you analyze the per-square-foot rates of a company with no fenced yards and compare with the same measure of a company that has a lot of fenced yards, you're going to see some radically different numbers, even if their per-man-hour rates are identical. This is only one reason to base numbers on time rather than area.

I'm not saying that such an analysis isn't inherently interesting, just that it's not that useful unless you control for a lot of parameters beyond sheer area. This would entail a lot of data collection that I doubt most of us are really interested in bothering with.