Nurse Tank Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by snking1, Jan 30, 2007.

1. snking1

snking1 LawnSite Member

Will a 40 gallon nurse tank be big enough for a backpack sprayer and eventually a permagreen or a z spray? I'll be purchasing one or the other next year but right now I'm about to buy a small tank and I can get a 40 gallon or a 100 gallon for twice the price of the 40. Should I get the 40 or the 100 gallon tank?

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i would suggest getting a 100 or 200 gallon spray unit with a motor, reel, everything. then if you want to use your BP sprayers you can fill them up. if you run into a lawn that has a lot of weeds...have fun spraying with a BP sprayer. it will be well worth your money in the long run to get the bigger size tank.

last spring i was in the same situation. i bought a cheap old 200 gallon tank from my old boss for $100 to use as a nurse tank. never once used it. i got out with my BP sprayer for a week and realized it isn't efficient unless there are only a few weeds. the next week, i went and bought a lesco space saver. i would have went crazy without it.

now if you only are treating 5-10 customers and most have few weeds, then i wouldn't even bother with a nurse tank. BP will do just fine. don't know the full situation, but that's my suggestions.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Most Back packs are sprayed at One Gallon per Thousand Sq Ft. Therefore a 40 gallon nurse tank will cover just under an acre. What is your normal Sq Ft of spraying that you do in a day and that should answer your question for your self.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How busy are you? the 40 gallon tank will fill the Permagreen about 5 times, a little less than 5 acres worth. If you plan to do more than 10 big lawns in a single day--you will need the bigger tank.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use a 50 gal tank with my pg and I fill the pg tank up to so I have a total of 62 gallons when I hit the road. this has always been enough for me since most of the time you are just spot treating with the pg.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pardon me for changing the subject.
    You mean you "spot spray with the PermaGreen"? Why? The spot you are spraying is 10 feet wide. you cannot really see the weeds in advance quick enough to pull the trigger. If you are driving over the whole lawn why wouldn't you kill the weeds? Or do customers accept a few weeds in your part of the conuntry?
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Look like you've never used a PG. While no one can claim to never miss a weed, if you pay attention when you ride it's easy to pull the trigger and hit the weeds. True, the PG sprays a fairly large area but that's why most operators use backpacks when precision is needed. What would you have everyone do - blanket spray on each app? That is costly and off label.
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The lawns that I have been taking care of in my 25 yrs in business dont require a blanket spray of weed control once you get them under control and thicken up the turf, sure if I pick up a new customer that needs a blanket spray they get it. why spray chemicals where its not needed? its bad for the enviorment and a waste of money! using the pg vs spraying with a skid sprayer saves me over $1000 per yr in weed control cost and my lawn look better that ever!
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Indy Turf

Yep no need to blank spray weeds for sure. I use a 25 Gallon 12V spot sprayer with a 300 ft hose reel and get plenty of pressure to spot spray weeds. Some yards I use a back Pack sprayer just to touch up where the Idiot Lawn Boy has Scaped the Turf and weeds are growing. I wished 90% of these jerks would learn how to weed eat or cut grass for that matter.
  10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

10 ft.for blanket 3ft. for trim spray on the PG. you can spot treat w/ the 3ft. trim