Nursery discounts?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Oct 22, 2000.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I havent been to my local nursery yet to inquire about an account. What kind of discount should i expect?? Are the wholesale prices usually all the same or do some range higher than others?? Thanks

2. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

THE BIGGEST AND BEST NURSERY LOCALLY OFFERS TWO TYPES OF WHOLESALE ACCOUNTS, ONE IS CASH PRICE FOR A LITTLE LESS AND THE OTHER IS CREDIT TERMS. NO INTERREST UNLESS THE BALANCE IS NOT PAID IN FULL. CHECK AROUND TO SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET LOCALLY, AND INQUIRE ABOUT GARUNTEES, HERE , IF YOU BUY WHOLESALE YOU GET NONE.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The nursery I use has a separate wholesale dept, much more stock variety than the retail side but prices are roughly 40% cheaper than retail. Only drawback you arent supposed to be able to pick your own plants they charge extra if you pick and choose but usually the yard guy will let you sort thru the stock.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The nursery I use only sells wholesale, you must be in the greens business and set up an account.The prices are cheaper else where but the quality and selection of product are very good.Its nice not to have the general public pawing over every thing.

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is a high-end retail nursery, don't expect to get any great bargains although they may give you a discount. Sometimes that discount depends on the annual volume of your purchases. Look into dealing with re-wholesalers and near-by growers also.

6. IvyLeagueLandscape

IvyLeagueLandscape LawnSite Member

I am involved in a wholesale landscape supply company and generally the rule is wholesale price is as marked, unless you are buying in bulk. We will give a discount of 10% or so with large orders. (40 or 50 of the same species). One of the prior posts made a good point regarding warranty. There no warranties with any purchases. The supplier is selling a quality product that has been taken care of while in the nursery.

Hope this helped

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We get 25% to 35% off all prices with no set doller amount. Over the years instead of pocketing the 25% we purchased shrubs and trees for our home and now we are like up to $2000.00 in shrubs and trees we didnt pay for and property looks real good.