Nursery mat question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lnd Svyr, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

I had posted earlier re: what to place between my raised beds to help with weeds and be easy on the knees. Thanks rbeitz (?) for your reply. But, now I'm thinking what about those black commercial nursery mats? Are they reasonably priced for homeowner use? I've searched to no avail so far on finding what exactly these nursery guys use and where to get the mats and how much they cost. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have thought maybe silt fence; it should last a few years and I could use the blower on it to keep it clean. But it looks like those commercial mats would last forever. Problem with silt fence is I have to remove all those dang stakes, too (can't find it without the stakes). Stone is too expensive. Mulch will just break down and grow weeds. Rbeitz's straw idea sounds the best so far but I'd like a longer lasting solution. Any ideas appreciated.

Reid

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered recycled tire mulch? I would do a search to see if anyone carries it in your area. I have heard a rumor that select retail stores will be selling it by the bag possibly as early as this year. As for the mats, call a local retail nursery and just ask them where they get their mats. Personally, I have never seen the mat that you are refering to. All of the growers that I am familiar with either have their materials on raised tables or on gravel bases with concreted walks between them. Try looking up McCorkle or some other national grower to inquire what they use.
    Good Luck!

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I had another idea for you to explore.... Have you ever thought of taking the heavy liner for a pond (rubber material) or call a roofing company for their rubber liner (same stuff) and cut it to the measurements you need. Just another idea....

4. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

Thanks, TScapes. The pond liner idea sounds good--don't know about the cost, though. Recycled tire mulch, huh? I'll look into that, also. I am loooking for something that WON"T grow the weeds again. I had plain old shredded mulch last year but it just breaks down into this lovely soil that grows great weeds. I'd go stone but with my driveway needing it more, it's hard to justify.