Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Aug 25, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

My wife and I own 5 acres, and it's 1 hour from where we currently live and now work. I'm pretty much full time now, lawn care and some landscaping, and I plan to do more landscaping eventually. The 5 acres is a farm/ranch type place. My questions is:
    Would it be beneficial to start a nursery that far from where we live and where I work as a landscaper? The place is located in a rural setting. The biggest city is an hour away, which is where I am now. There are other smaller cities near it, about 20 and 30 mins away.
    I was thinking of using this to grow my landscaping company(income). Whole selling, retailing and using our plants for my landscaping company jobs here in the city.

CS-LAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

one thing to remember
    if its an inconvenience for you to drive to the lot then its also one for the people out there to drive to town / city

I would think Mulch and small plants would sell well

I live in the county 45 minute drive to nearest city and there are probably 4-6 small nursery out here that seem to do pretty well but the owners live there so they do not have to drive to get to work .

If both you and your wife are already working are you going to hire some one to run it for you ?
  3. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

Yeah, the idea was to have someone run it.
  4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member