Nut and Bolt fell off?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Crapgame, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Crapgame

Crapgame LawnSite Member

Hi Terry,

I walked into my shed yesterday to gaze at my 52"HP, and lo and behold, but what do I see on the floor by the rear of the machine? A copperish-colored bolt, with washer still on it, and a whiz-lock nut very close by. I have determined by comparing the pieces to those around the muffler that it appears to be one of many identical nuts and bolts around the rear of the machine. My question is, with so many places where a nut and bolt could concievably have come from on the machine, how do I find out where this one came from?

I'm afraid to run it without knowing, and I'd prefer not to have to figure out a way to drag it to the dealer.

Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Crapgame,

I'd check the fasteners for the pump drive idler and the clutch tie down. These are the only componants spinning at a high rate of speed that could cause any issues for you between home and the dealership if you'd like to take it in.

How long ws the bolt? Also keep in mind that it's rare for a nut/bolt to fall off a mower in a stationary position. Vibration can cause a loose or even a tight fastener to come loose. If the mowers not running there's no vibration. I'd look forward on the machine rather than focus on the rear. More than likely if it's from your machine it feel off while you were parking it or if your like me somebody made a repair and had parts left over...........I always have parts left over when I work on the car...............

Terry

Terry

3. Crapgame

Crapgame LawnSite Member

Hi Terry,

I kind of figured it was something that vibrated off. However, it appears to be an exact match for the bolts that hold the heat shield on the back of the unit to the frame. Roughly 1" with BY stamped on it, if I recall correctly.

I was going to look underneath the thing to see where it appeared a nut used to be, but it appears as if there are a lot of places that one of these nuts and bolts could have come from.

Would the manual be of any use to me here?

Thanks,

Paul

4. eXmark

Paul,

You should be able to find someplace on the machine where the nut or bolt were spun when tightening or there should be an empty holes somewhere.

Give me a call at 800-667-5296 and let me know what you find.

Terry

5. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

I had the whizlock and the 1 1/2 inch bolt fall off a couple weeks ago...it was the bolt holding the front left (seated) chains on the floating deck of the Lazer Z HP. Took close to 600 hrs to get it loose.

6. Crapgame

Crapgame LawnSite Member

Well,

I took a few minutes on Sunday to get down on the floor and really look hard for an indication of where a nut and bolt could have come from - man, there are a lot of places. However, after about 10 minutes of sweating and cursing, I noticed a spot where the black paint was slightly worn in a circular pattern - just the size of the washer I had in my hand. Looking from behind the unit, a few inches towards the front of the machine, and about 1-2 inches below the muffler itself is a bracket that secures the muffler in place on both sides. On the left side was a tightly secured bolt, washer and whizlock nut, on the right was.... a pair of neatly aligned metal brackets with no bolt, washer and nut with indications of previously existing ones. So, a trip to the tool box to find the right wrenches, some cursing (man that space is awkward to get to) and a trip to the first aid box for a band-aid to cover up the cut I got from smashing my hand on the heatshield (I think) and it's good to go.

Proceeded to give my lawn the weekly manicure, and recheck the nut. It's all good. And my lawn looks pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

Paul

7. eXmark

Paul,

I'm glad you found it...........and that you didn't need to haul it all the way into the dealership. It all takes time.

Thanks

Terry