Nut grass invasion

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Live4Mowin', Jul 4, 2003.

1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

I have nut grass spreading rapidly throughout one of my yards. :eek: Any solutions for getting rid of it? Should I use weed-b-gon or something of that sort?:confused:
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

This should be & probably has been on the fert. forum.
    Answer is MANAGE
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a liscence? Weed B Gone will not touch it. Use something like manage herbicide from lesco..... If you are liscened. :)
  4. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

i dont have a license:(
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

No license??? Then don't do any lawn apps.!!!! Sub it out or get licensed.
  6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Purple Nutsedge and Yellow Nutsedge are some of the worst weeds to deal with. If there are only a few dozen, you should just pull them, though you have to do this many times and do it often - it will keep coming back from the tuber even if you pull up the roots. Eventually they will give up. I have seen lawns so full of nutsedge that there would be no way to pull it.

Nutsedge is an indicator weed - it indicates poor drainage. You will usually see problems with it in clay soils where there is too much water. Cutting down on irrigation can help.
  7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Informative post Yardmonkey. You learn something everyday. I knew that it liked water,but never gave it much thought. I have several lawns with that in it (new lawns) so I might be able to sell aeration to them :D
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

9. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

T.E. -

Just speculating, but I would doubt that aeration alone would cause the nutsedge to disappear. To improve drainage of clay soil might require tilling in a lot of compost. Or a less radical (and more long-term) step might be to topdress with compost (maybe many times) and aerate, perhaps gypsum would be helpful. In most cases it would be pretty much impractical to try to change the soil that much. But that is one viscious weed. I actually don't use any chemcals and just followed this post over here from the LawnCare forum where it originated. So just offering some alternatives. There is a chemical (Manage) that is made just for nutgrass (nutsedge) and may be the only chemical to work on it in a lawn. I have heard that even the application of this chemical is not a one-time sure shot solution.

Most weeds really do indicate some type of condition, which may be a condition that should be changed. For instance, clover may indicate a lack of nitrogen. (Lambsquarters indicates good, rich soil)

Have mainly noticed nutsedge in heavy clay soils with irrigation. It can spread like crazy by underground rhizomes. One lawn I know of is totally full of it and is not irrigated (also usually mowed too low). I'm guessing it grows and spreads a lot with lots of rain and slows down but hangs on through drought. Like crabgrass, high mowing height can help to suppress it by shading it out. With both weeds, this is more effective as a prevention than a cure.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Nut-sedge is a two to three year process to get rid of. Manage for yellow and Image for purple. Pennet pre-emerge is a must. Hit it often and hard.