Nut removal -- Ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Jan 26, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer whose nuts I have to remove. From his lawn. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Seriously, he's got hickory and walnuts that leave a mess on his lawn. I did his fall cleanup and took about 200 pounds of nuts off his lawn. He called today and he's got more that have fallen since November.

Any brilliant ideas? I originally used a BP blower to get them into a pile then fed them into my Trac Vac. Today I'm not dragging the TV over there, but I'm just going to blow em into a pile and shovel them into a bag for disposal.

Would something like a Billy Goat walk behind lawn vac work on this? Anything has to be better than what I'm doing.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

This is what you need:
    1. Enough chicken wire to create a perimeter about 5' high
    2. Power source to electrify your perimeter
    3. About 300 hungry grey or fox squirrels (they are good cheap laborers, since they work for peanuts, or any other nuts you happen to have around)
    4. If no squirrels are available, chimpmunks can be used in a pinch, but you will need at least 1.5 times the amount of chipmunks as squirrels
    5. Steve Irwin, (can catch about anything, he can help you wrangle those little buggas) If you can't get in contact with Steve, Marty Stouffer may be able to give you a hand, and he can teach you how to enjoy our Wild America

Or you can just get a lawn vac.....
  4. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Jpocket that is tooooo freakin funny. I was thinking just how painful that was going to be for the customer. Talk about high prices Ha Ha.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I also have a customer that has hickory nuts all over the place and I would love to know if a Billy Goat vac would work on them. I am thinking of getting one in the fall but I don't want to tear it up sucking nuts..... That is not what I ment I ment crushing nuts..... Um I mean removing nuts.....

Good Question just funny as heck to look at and not laugh....
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

The BillyGoat was my first thought. . .but I question how much it would be able to collect because it relies on the blower to pile debris up in the bag. I'm wondering how well those dense nuts would do in it.

On a side note: Those hickory nuts are hard to crack but it sure seems like a waste to throw away those walnuts. . .
  6. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure about nuts but I have used my walker to remove gumballs and it got about 80% of them. I make it a strict policy not to deal with other folks nuts.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Lol:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know, nuts are one thing I have never given much thought to. So long as my mower ain't launching them or they are not causing me to loose control on hillsides, I never think of them.

Chestnuts, Walnuts and Hickory Nuts are the worst though. The Hickory Nuts are about the equivilent of a yard full of golf balls though. But still, I never really worry much about them. Here it's a country setting and for the most part I only find the nut bearing trees on older properties farther out in the sticks. Mostly retirees that enjoy watching the squirrels and stuff come to their yard to get them and play.

So the customer is happy and I never really bother with them.
    Never really thought about it either. The animals don't let them build up and go to waste, which is something I have taken for granted I guess. It's gotta be a pain getting all those up.
  9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Blow em onto a tarp.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another job for a snapper hi vac. i have a custemer with a huge hickory nut tree and i vacume them up using my snapper.