1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nutcase: the bullets almost flew, police called

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Deere John, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

We had a very frightening incident I want to relate as briefly as I can. Please bear with me.

We had a thaw about two weeks ago. A long-time customer (74 years old) scraped the slush from his driveway and made a pyramid out of it at the street, where we normally pile all of his snow with the trucks.

We found out about it during the next plow, at -20 degrees. Bang. The Basset Hound co-pilot almost went onto the dash again - but he's getting used to that. I beavered away at that pile for 5 minutes, and then said, piss on it, the list is still 65 names deep, and I'm going to break a wing off. My usual option is to get the backhoe and root it out, and forward an additional-service charge to the gentleman. But the backhoe was at the shop, 45 minutes away, and the roads were salty. I didn't want to spend 2 hours in the backhoe and then have to spend another hour washing it. In hindsight, I will do that in the future.

Anyway, a friend was plowing for another company a short distance away, on Dec 29th. I asked him to take a poke at the ice with the 950 Cat loader on his way to my place to enjoy a New Year's beer.

He did as I asked, and came for the beer. Five hours later, I got a call from a very irate old man, claiming we ripped up his lawn and dumped salt and sand all over the grass. No problem I said, we'll deal with that if its a problem.

This is where I got worried. He told me that when he saw the 950 at work, he went down stairs, "loaded my high-power hunting rifle and went back upstairs to shoot the guy that did that to my lawn". The loader was leaving down the street when he came out of his house and ran across his lawn in 16" of snow. A neighbour stopped him on the lawn and asked him what was going on with the gun. He went back in the house, and, I guess, stewed for 5 hours before calling me.

I explained the reason for the loader, I'll take care of the damage, if any, and reminded him that we usually push his banks with the backhoe as normal course.

I then thought, and told him we will no longer, under the circumstances, service his address anymore, and sent him a final statement.

The next day, after a bad night's sleep, I went to the police station to report the event. I didn't want the next person, be it the newspaper kid or, even a mailman, to be his next target if they crumple the grass. Before I even got done my interview with the cop, two other cops were on their way to his house to investigate. They called later to say they were satisfied with his sanity and storage of the weapons, but also recommended we not do business anymore.

This really made us think. We will do some things alittle different now - along the notification avenue.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Sorry to be so long. Be careful out there.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... that could've been bad.

Why on earth would you shoot someone for doing a little damage to your lawn? If it was a couple of teenagers doing doughnut's in the lawn or something, I could see shooting out their tires or something. But if a legitimate business is moving snow, and in the process tears up some grass, you know that they will cover it. Taking someone's life for a few blades of grass is pure stupidity. I feel you took the right course of action by notifying the poilce. I would definately stay as far away from that property as possible.

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt the geezer could shoot straight anyway.
  4. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

He's a Newfy Dave, and returns annually to "The Rock" to get his insanity recharged. Always during hunting season, too. BTW, he drinks enuf too.

I guess its my turn, after 20 years, to get one of these.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I'd wait about a year and one late night dump snow from his garage to the road. Oh' about 8' high would work and he wouldn't know what hit him...
  7. SlimJim Z71

... I think he's trying to AVOID getting shot Mike... LOL

8. Worst story i've never heard.
  9. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

A friend of mine was threatened last year when plowing a commercial drive next to a residents home. It was late night/early morning and I guess he woke him up. The guy told my friend if he ever came to do that job at that time he would kill him... I have a commercial lot just accross the street from this maniac. Needless to say I did some swapping of time slots and now plow that lot closer to morning.
  10. SlimJim Z71

Good god... what is wrong with people???