1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JJLandscapes, Apr 7, 2006.

1. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

is there anything at home depot that can get rid of nutgrass? if so whens the best time to apply it... etc any help is appreciated its for one of my customers needing some advice
  2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the only thing available at HD for Nutsedge control would be Roundup. In turf however, I have have used Manage successfully. Add a sticker and apply when the Nutsedge is 3-4 inches long. The sticker will help the Manage "stick" to the blade and you want the Nutsedge long enough for the material to be able to translocate to the nutlet. If you don't kill the nutlet, more Nutsedge will pop back up.
  3. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Image is available at Home Depot but Manage is a superior product. Don't waste your time with the Round-up........it may yellow the plant but it doesn't kill it.
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

manage is good on a lot of different sedges
    basagran/lescogran is good on some as well as some broadleaf
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You can purchase Image at Home Depot. It is reasonably effective on nutsedge, but will certainly take multiple applications to control. This may be fine for a homeowner DIY who can spot spray every couple of weeks.

The pros will use Sedgehammer (new name for Manage) to control it. Results will be much better with only one or two applications.
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

the big problem for homeowners is there very limited pesticides availble size wise to purchase example is manor herbicide. execlete on broadleaf in st aug.
    grass 2 oz cost over 100.00 treats 2- 4 acres kind of puts homeowners out of it.