nutrients needed per acre

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

regarding soil testing what is the recommended amount of nutrients in lbs. needed per acre for turf grass?
    trees and shrubs?

thanks,
    C.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

You will get better response from this question in the pesticide forum.. lots of folk here don't like to think in terms of adding NPK or micro's.

Having said that. your soil test should tell you what LBS of what you should add this year. The people in this forum will help a ton with Ca and Mg ratios etc (from your other thread). Good luck.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Take your soil sample, again, like JD said it will tell you what you need. It is pretty cheap for a basic sample. Then come here if you want to do it organically, figure that is your intent being you coming here, and the more experienced guys here can help you get your numbers right with organics.

Good luck.

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

for biology to make nutrients available they"nutrients" need to be present right? and in the right amount? no?

If you soil is not going to receive the greatest vermi/compost top dressing around to supply these nutrients and you can't even top dress with regual leaf compost, do you think maybe 4-5 apps of some granular organic fert is going to add all these vital nutrients needed?

I'm not talking about synthetic inputs to amend the soil. natural only, earth minerals not processed by man

thanks for the input guys

5. DeepGreenLawn

OM is our nutrients. Look at the bag and see what the numbers are for it. Then try, if possible, to figure what it will take to get the OM% to the desired 5-7%. Then your good to go. That is what I like about compost topdress, all OM, kind of, so it gets built up quicker.

Got any horse farms around? (rhetorical question)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=236583

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

After thinking it through it was noted that NPK that is tied up and unavailable to the plants - are also tied up and unavailable to the test.

That came out in the synthetic nitrgen thread.

If you have any kind of compost go ahead and use it. See for yourself what it does or does not do.
    If you are leaving the clippings on the lawn don't worry about getting any other inputs down until you see how it is after the compost.

You are growing grass, the simplest thing in the world to grow. The more you mess with it the more problems you create, herbicides, overwatering, overfertilizing, etc. Left alone grass does great.

7. DeepGreenLawn

your absolutely right, I keep forgetting that, thanks for catching me on that, I don't think this was the first time you made that post after I posted something similar. :hammerhead:

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Left alone, turf dies and is replaced by different, better adapted plants. Turf management is far from simple.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Nutrient and pH requirements will vary depending on grass species.

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

one loaded question and one loaded answer, hope it comes out OK,

1) how long before any more inputs?
    2) what crops( if you cut it, it is a crop)????
    3)native spec( sea oats live in the sand dunes, cypress lives in the swamp)???
    4)are you trying to store some carbon for later???
    5) is the acre all the same???

this is to the aliens that stole the real jeff, when i get ahold of you,,,,

growing, is there some thing going on in your area, is it hush hush, feel free to ask away. something tells we that some soil values are out of range and you grass is hurting mid July. I have been wrong before, but these where the same things I started asking when i was in a bad way