1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NutriSphere products/Andersons

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Got a fert+pre quote from my Reinder's guy.

Right around $14/bag for Anderson's 15-0-0 with .28 Barricade and 80%NSN (NutriSphere). SGN 215. Looking strongly into it, I do need to verify the percent NSN though, 80% seems pretty high for a fert/pre product....

Any guys here experienced running fert with NSN technology. It is not a coating technology, works by slowing the ammonium conversion into the nitrate form of N. I heard the Anderson's rep speak about it at an open house last fall, the product looks compelling but need more input.....
  2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

From what I heard from the reps, sounds like a good product to me. My only problem is since its relatively new, my supplier doesn't have much call for it and isn't bringing any in yet.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nitrisphere is not a coated or slow-release product. It is a chemical that inhibits the bacteria that carry urease enzyme, slowing the conversion of amonium to nitrate.

http://books.google.com/books?id=u7...&q=nitrification inhibitors turfgrass&f=false

Such products according to above reference are not very helpful in turf. Probably your 15-0-0 should be considered as a quick release.
    http://www.scstma.org/upkeep/resources/files/Nitrogen in Soil and Fertilizers.pdf
    It seems the inhibitor can be leached out due to its water solubility.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Glad to get some input. So 'inhibitor' is Anderson's way of dancing around the 'slow release' catch phrase. I wouldn't think any company worth its weight would market something like this as superior to a coating technology if it in fact, isn't.
  5. Shegardi

Shegardi LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

It's basically, but not technically, the same as Agrotain or Hydrexx
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I appreciate the resources. So the Nutrisphere technology behaves like UFLEXX (not exactly but similar). And cannot be considered 'slow release', but from what LS'ers are saying, gives good color and overall performance for 60 solid days or so. So then, who cares about the fact that it is not truly 'slow release' if it performs well, with duration, and with less volatilization than other forms of N fert??

I was considering this Nutrisphere product with Barricade for my first app. Wise? Or perhaps try the product on a few lawns on later apps in the season?
  8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Let me know if that product really is 80% nsn. That sounds like a great price for the product your getting. Even if it's not 80, that's still a good price. That product would fit into my program really well.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

15-0-0 80% NSN .28% Barricade 14.06 per bag

This is what was e-mailed to me from my Reinder's rep. I am confirming the %NSN but don't have any reason to think he would fib.

Now guys.....some of you are saying NSN should be considered fast-release product. Yet the duration of green up and quality result using NSN (or similar technology) seems to be very good. So, then, who the heck cares about it not being officially 'slow release' if the outcome is desirable? I am really thinking about going Rd1 with this in a few weeks and seeing what she'll do.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Been mostly using XCU as our slow release, but a friend says he applies 33-0-5 Nutrisphere 50% at just 2 lbs per K. Says his lawns look awesome for 8 - 10 weeks. Cost per acre is also less. He's got me thinking. He also mentioned it's about the same as Uflexx. ????