1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nuts to use Pendimethalin next year?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason Rose, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not new to this game, but I have a question... Am I nuts to consider using Pendi. (granular) for my first 2 apps next year? I haven't even touched the yellow stuff since I started using professional products almost 10 years ago. Iv'e used Dimension and Barricade mostly, the past few seasons Dimension only.

My reason for switching: Better control on sandburr and spurge. Both are a BIG problem in many of my lawns, and I don't always have time to spray in the summer for the spurge.

Is Pendi. really OLD technology, or should I really not be scared of my decision? I guess my biggest worry is the longivity of the chemical in the soil, will it last me all summer using a split app...

Product I'm talking about is a Shaws 20-2-5, 40% SCU. .86% ai. Applied at the 4# rate. Price is $15.08 per bag. (ordering 5 pallets)
  2. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Hey Jason do you have a number for Shaws?

3. Jason Rose

Sorry, no phone numbers... I'm buying it from a supplier that carries several brands. I used Shaws products last year, with Dimension, and felt it was a pretty good product overall.
  4. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

we use pendi tried and true,its yellow and stinks but it works better than the rest. I do 400 yards per quarter and swear by the stuff. We have used barricade and all the others but kept getting breakthrough
  5. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

by the way it was all shaws pendi. products that we use
  6. Jason Rose

Good to hear! I can't be too 'fraid, I mean, the industry was BUILT on Pendi... I gave up on Barricade because I either couldn't get it down EARLY enough or always had issues with getting people to water it in. If I apply at the right time and it sits there DRY for 2 weeks... that's not good on many levels.
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I'd be more afraid of the Shaw's fert than I'd be of the Pendi !

Shaws " Melts in your spreader and in your hand "

8. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

I used my last bag of yellow this spring. I cant stand the staining of equipment, applicator, sidewalks, ect. I use dimension, love it.
  9. Jason Rose

I had fine results with the Shaws products I used this last spring... Had Dimension in it though. Not sure that it wouldeffect the fert prill any though. Iv'e had bad fert, even from Lesco before, crap that would cake up on everything in just a couple bags, and then I've had really good that hardly builds up anything in 20 bags. Maybe I just got lucky with what I had last year...

The guy I'm buying from has access to about 6 different brands, and had been in the turf industry his whole life pretty much. He picks and chooses the best products depending on what ai you are looking for. I'm trusting that he's not steering me in the wrong direction!
  10. Jason Rose

I know this is the one thing that bums me... I'm going to stain up my still new looking permagreen! I keep it clean though, usually gets a full cleandown after each day I use it, so hopefully I can keep the staining down to a minimum on it. Yellow and green makes a puke color... :laugh: