Nuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Oct 28, 2003.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

What a day, Did a clean up today and when I arrived they said they wanted me to pick up all the walnuts that fell in the backyard. I told them the walnut clean up would be charged by the hour in addition to the price I gave for the leaf removal. Well good thing I didnt have to much work today those walnuts took just under four hours to clean up. Anyone have a good solution for clearing these nuts quick.

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire chipmonks. Or use a pitching wedge and work on your short game. LOL!

No, sorry no suggestions.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have the same problem with those gum-balls/prickle-balls. I hate these things! Someone should be able to build something similar to one of those machines that picks up golfballs on a driving range. It appears that in principal it would work.

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Why do you think that a golf ball picker would not work. The walnuts outer shell is kind of soft so they should get in there. That is an awsome idea locutus. I am glad I don't have to worry about them, but I acorns and pecans out the wazoo.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...good one bud:D

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

No faster solution that I know of. As long as people are willing to pay hourly... I am wiling to pick up each and every last one.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I could get $100.00 an hour for getting up prickle balls, Id still hate it............but the money would make it more like "hate lite"

8. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what about a power broom .i used it once i borrowed it from a friend.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Imagine a dog trained to pick up such things and deposit them in a bucket... walnuts, acorns, crab apples, etc. Dog rides a long and while you do other things the dog does clean-up. AND then the dog learns how to clean up after ITSELF.... :D

How about a spray to wipe out the buggers before they become nuts/seeds? Gotta be one out there....

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have heard of a chemical that is injected into the trunk of a sweet gum tree that prevents it from flowering.....thus no sweet gum-balls to drop. It was expensive and I think you had to have a special license to use the chemical.

MATT