Nutsedge guarantee?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor1, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys include nutsedge control as a part of a 5/6 step program? I try to include it, but sometimes it is nearly impossible. One of my largest competitors makes people pay for 3 extra applications for sedge control.

What about Dallisgrass? I do not include control for this weed. It's impossible if I am only there 6 times a year, 6 weeks between treatments. What do you guys do? any other weeds that are "not a part of the program?"
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I put in my contracts a specific clause for "weeds which require a specific herbicide such as nutsedge". They know it would cost extra over something like a 3-Way application.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nutsedge optional for small extra cost. I think I will charge extra if an extra trip is required, this year.
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If more than 50 sq ft, we charge. BTW Q4 has given us total kill on yellow nutsedge -- even though the labels suggests "suppression" only. Good stuff. Vic told me about it. Thanks Vic.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Turfdoctor, I have a 6 app program. For new customers the 6th app is DG/NG. I make 3 trips about a week apart for the DG/NG app. I charge one app price. It sucks but there's no way around it to kill DG, and you can't bill customers to death or they cancel. Thankfully, only the new customers get this app. All old customers get Lime as their 6th app in my program. I do spot spray for nutgrass when doing a regular fert app. However, I explain to the customers (when I talk to them) that some weeds are controlled(eliminated) and some are only suppressed. Nutgrass and Buttonweed are 2 weeds that can only be suppressed. That gets me out of any guarantee and keeps the customer from having any unrealistic expectations. I use sedgehammer with decent results. I am thinking of trying Dismiss. I have been hearing good things about this herbicide. Hope this helps.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Because there is not a single lawn or landscape here without purple nutsedge or various species of kyllinga infesting it, I am expensive. That is one of the reasons why I ask for and get $150 per M per month. I do not nickle and dime my clients, but everyone pays for the fact that I keep Image and Certainty on hand at all times.
  7. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Ted, weekly trips must be challenging to fit into the schedule. I know you must be swamped. Do you do this at the front end of the season or back end? I have a couple of new yards that are eaten up with DG, one in particular that is about 25% DG, puke. But, i can't warrant 3 trips for $50 (typical 1/4 acre lot), that would barely pay the gas, let alone the lost time. I have just been adding "ask us about our grassy weed control" at the bottom of invoices. and no one is asking. if they want the DG control, i don't know how I could find time to get there weekly anyway.

greendoctor--$!50/M/month!! wow. don't have to have many customers at that rate!
  8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Nutsedge is a seperate charge and it's hard to really get that to sink in to customers. It's like trying to deal with orchard grass. Stuff sucks bad here.
    Back on point...nutsedge seems to be a little early everywhere this year. We had record rain here in may so i guess mother nature is to thank.
  9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Extra charge all the way. Depends on the customer and the situation on how much I would charge.