1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

nutsedge herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I sprayed a big patch of yellow nutsedge. Manage on the left. Surge in the center and T-Zone on the right. All appeared to be somewhat effective, and turned the nutsedge first yellow, then brown. Manage (now marketed as Sedgehammer) worked slower at first.

2. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

T-Zone and Surge are labeled to only suppress nutsedge, Surge only when it first emerges. So I wouldn't expect any control. How about also trying Basagran with a spreader/sticker? I would like to see how to stacks up against halosulfuron (Sedgehammer). My experience this year with Basagran is that it is a quick kill but proper application is critical to provide control while avoiding burning. You can't just spray to wet.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I do not have any Basagran--and I don't plan on buying any for the small mount that I would need--sorry.
    I agree that Surge and T-Zone probably have mainly contact action due to the sulfentrazone ingredient. Quick action, though.
  4. chemrh

chemrh LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Certainty w/ MSO has worked pretty well for me. Takes about a week to yellow up the Nutsedge, but it knocks it out.
  5. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a small amount left in a jug I would send it to you. Maybe next year.