1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nutsedge Timing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Sep 29, 2006.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

~~Timing is based on Southern CT/Metro NY~~

Manage, Sedgehammer...Its all Halosulfuron & it's the best Nutsedge tool we've ever had. But only when it is applied to young actively growing plants in June.

I get more applicators crying they aren't getting control yet they start buying product in July & August. When I scold them about their lousy timing the response is always the same.....:cry:

...The customer didn't see it until now. So what were YOU doing in June? :sleeping:

Since when do customers know when to control weeds? Isn't that why they hired YOU in the first place? Jeez! We arent plumbers. :hammerhead:

So here is the plan for our Southern New England & Metro New York LCO's...While you still remember which lawns have Nutsedge & where it is on the lawn...Make a notation in your Outlook email program right now. If you're still "old school" , go buy a 2007 calendar. Make an entry for June 4th, 2007. That's a Monday & Nutsedge should just about be breaking the canopy between mowings. Thrus/Fri are the big mowing days so by Tues/Weds the application window is wide open.

List who needs the applications & where on the lawn. If you aren't already using property maps you have all winter to get your act together.

TELL (don't ask) the clients over the winter when you're doing renewals that you have this new program that will eliminate their Nutsedge problem & TELL them how much it will cost. Very few customers will require more than a gallon so charging by the minute or the gallon applied isn't rocket science.

I've treated Nutsedge infested test plots with halosulfuron on 14 day intervals. In June we get nearly 100% control & no new plants the following season. By July, we killed the traget plant but a ring of new plants appear the following season about 4-6" from the prior years target. The later we get in the season the more likely we see the "ring of new plants" around the killed target the following year. Hence we can deduce that by July the plant has made new nuts which are not dying & will reappear the following season.

If job security is the goal maybe we should be weighing the chances that repeat treatments (year over year revenue) also increases the risk of cancellations.
  2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Good advise!!! As usual. Glad to see ya active again.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on Russ' post. Glad to see you active.

I wished Sedge was as easy to control here in zone 10. Our year round growing season allows even crabgrass to stay green in a warm winters like we have had the passed few years.

Believe it or not, But I had a customer with a all Sedge lawn. It didn't look bad at all. Weed control was easy with Roundup and it didn't need much fertilizer. I saw no insect or fungus damage to the Sedge and only applied insecticide for Fire Ant control. I no longer take care of this yard but still do the one next door which is St Augustine. I have found using Pennant Pre Emerge along with Sledge Hammer will help control Sedge. However it take a lot of treatment over a long period of time to control Sedge here in zone 10.
  4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

6 months without posting, you must have had a busy Summer.
  5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

If we could cross a sedge with fesuce or blue, wow what a hardy turf we could have.
  6. tremor

Thanks Russ.

Not the Sedges up here Ric. The cutters knock it down on Friday & by Monday it's 6 inches tall again. Lime green too. Ugly stuff that no one ever gets a handle on when they wait too long to treat.
  7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Why isn't anyone using Dismiss?
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like Cane Grass down here, which is in the Sedge Family. Yellow nut sedge (Cyperus esculentus) and Globe Sedge (C. globulosus) are the two most common sedges in Turf Grass. Purple Sedge (C. ligularis) grows about 12 " high and can also be problem. Sledge Hammer will not suppress Purple Nut Sedge but Image will.
  9. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

i'm using dismiss its the best guys it worth every penny you will see the kill within 2 days and its gone.... no lie we get ours for 188.00
  10. tremor

Dismiss isn't registered in New York...I'll be playing with it in CT next year thats for sure. I like the label.