Nutsedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by iluvbermuda, Jul 2, 2006.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

How can I get rid of this crap in my bermuda. Yes, it pulls up pretty easily, but it's getting old. Those bright green shoots just stand out like a sore thumb.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

well , one way and the hard way would be to paint glyfosate on each leaf

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It's called "Manage". You can get it from Lesco, etc. It's real good but man, it's expensive!

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you never want to use roundup on sedge it always comes back ten fold. I think it works too fast and never kills the underground nut. Sedgehammer (formerly manage) is the best product by far. My lesco still has the bottles of manage and is selling them for 48 dollars.

5. J&L-lawncare

J&L-lawncare LawnSite Member

I use Sedgehammer also, GRREAT STUFF!!!!:usflag:

6. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Sedgehammer is good....but the best product for the money now is Dismiss. Pre and Post control. You can get it and any product you need from Prosource One.

7. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sedgehammer and Manage are the same product and both work well. And, I would agrue that it is expensive. For a homeowner, you can by 0.9g to use in a 1 gallon tank for 10 bucks at a local supplier.

don't pull it, cause it will come back from the underground tuber.

8. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Does the stuff by Ortho they sell at Home Depot/Lowes work? Will it kill the actual nut or tuber as someone mentioned?
    Also, do I have to be a licensed applicator to buy Sedgehammer for my home use?
    I can't seem to locate anyone here that sells it.

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The Ortho crap probably has MSMA in it if it has nutsedge (nutgrass) on the label. MSMA will work if you do repeat treatments on it - 2 or 3 - but use extreme caution if it's hot there in S/E TN.

Surely, you have a Lesco or a BWI or a Helena or another turf supply outlet close 'enough' to you. If not, give them a credit card number & they will probably ship Manage/Sedgehammer to you. Its the best. You'll eliminate a good percentage of the nutlets or tubers every time you spray (correctly).

Its not a restricted use product, so you can use it without a license on your own property.

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I'm sure you can buy it on line, with the price of gas the $2-$3 shipping will be a bargain.