1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by forgop, Sep 24, 2007.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I've had problems with nutsedge in my yard for the past 2 years. Last year, I treated it fairly late in the season(August I believe) with Sedgehammer from Lesco and it did a good job of killing them off within a week or so.

This year, I've been using Tru-Green to treat my yard. Indiana has had a VERY hot/dry season, so of course, that's the excuse they're giving about crabgrass and everything else under the sun. They've been out at least 3 times to treat for weeds/fertilize and had callbacks every time to kill off the nutsedge and haven't gotten rid of it yet. The guy who treats my yard left me a message saying they'd be unable to kill it because the nutsedge was "too mature" and pulling is the only option of killing them off. I say they're full of it because the Sedgehammer I used last year was very effective.

I've been very unhappy in their ability to kill off these weeds. I specifically told them not to treat my yard 2 weeks ago until this situation was resolved and yet, they came out again last week. They've not returned calls asking how they're going to resolve this, yet they've called numerous times to upsell every other service they have. I've told them I'm not paying for my last treatment as well.

Any advice other than eating the cost out of my pocket to get some Sedgehammer?
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

nutsedge is a *****. You need to spray for it BEFORE you can see it. If you can see it, it's probably too late. Nutsedge spreads from the little nutlets it flowers in the summer, and also spreads under ground. You want to kill it before it spreads under ground. I would say June. sedgehammer is a contact herbicide, it has to stick to the leaf. So I would keep monitoring the lawn for small nutsedge sprouts, then spray for it.

Spray the lawn, then water the lawn 24hrs later.
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

First--Do you bag your clippings? If not, you're sowing the seed for next year because TG's rep for pre-em ain't that great. Make sure you get that fall pre-em down and be religious in it's treatment in February and the spring app of Dimension plus fertilizer. Sedge comes by seed, nutlets and mature plants. You'll have to deal with killing the mature plants off as well. That's another whole game and needs a lot of time to explain.
    After considering that: How long till your first frost. You may kill off some of the sedge now but you may be wasting you money. How much lawn do you have. A real cheap maybe/maybenot help for now is Basagran. You could use sprayer and spot them THIS YEAR which would help. The sedgehammer is much more $12/K +/-as you know. A wonderful product "Dismiss" will get it, but the stuff is really expensive. There's Manor and some others but you'll have to weigh the pros and cons. Seems like you don't have the time--hence TG, why don't you hire one of the pro company in you neighborhood to do it. Would cost you any more and you'd develop a relationship in these cases. Im old school and trust someone with 50 clients over a corporation of 5000 or more. To them time is money to pay for their overhead. Smaller guys have enough time to treat you as a human rather than a number. There's nothing out there that money can't fix and we always regret our economies. Roy
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

most companies, including mine, will charge extra for controlling nutsedge. we have had customers call to say our last visit didnt kill the nutsedge and they want a free service call.

then we need to explain we can kill broadleaf weeds and/or grassy weeds with a free service call but for nutsedge that'll cost extra

this may or may not be the case in your situation
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. We spray nutsedge anytime it's actively growing and have fine results everytime. We used to use Basagran, then Manage, now Q4. Q4 says it "suppresses" it, but we've found that it kills nutsedge as well as any other product. I drove by a lawn today where I sprayed nutsedge last Friday ---- it's fried.:waving:
  6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

His problem isn't killing it. His problem is that it's coming back every year.

He's not killing it early enough.
  7. RAlmaroad

from SC

You wouldn't believe what I had! A real infestation. It took me two (2) years to get it under control. It needs to be treated like the proverbial dead horse. After you get it under control. The wind blows the neighbors seed into your yard and it becomes an ongoing battle. The pre-emergence early in the year takes care of most of the seed for that. but a through kill of mature stuff is a big battle but worth it to walk barefooted in the spring grass without those burrs and to say the least when walkers by say "How beautiful" or why don't you have all of those sandburs".
    Yea, a through kill--he needs one of his best local applicators--worth the dough.
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about sandspurs are nutsadge? What pre-emergent
    works on nutsedge?
  9. RAlmaroad

from SC

Yellow, Purple, and Green Kyliinga--all producing a burr. I know, I know, sandspurs on the sand dunes I was referring to any seed that had fallen from the burrs may/maynot be effected by pre-em. I like XL 2G from Dow applied in Feb. Dimension works a little I guess on the seeds but of course not on the nutlets or the perennial plants. But just in general control for getting the crabgrass, kyliinga (and there are seeds). That "Dismiss" is great. I gave Nancy an ounce to try on her bank. Hope it helped. I'll find out when we take the annual soil test to her in November.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

TruGreen generally does not treat nutsedge due to high material costs. SedgeHammer works very well, as does Dismiss. Q4 will do the job, as it contains Dismiss. All are very very expensive. The key is to keep up with it. There seems to be a narrow window in the plant's life cycle where it can be wiped out totally, but nobody seems to know when exactly this is.

I spoke with a NuFarm rep who told me that they are doing studies along with Ohio State and UMass to see how well Monmentum FX2 and Hawkeye together work. Apparently they are seeing excellent results, and everyone is scratching their heads trying to figure out why. Hawkeye is an organosilicone sticker, and Momentum FX2 is a broadleaf herbicide, and should not be affecting a sedge, but the combo seems to wipe it out. Anybody who wants to try it and let us know. Send me a PM if you do try it, I'd love to hear results.