1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wcb607a, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wcb607a

wcb607a LawnSite Member

Do you guys include the control of nutsedge in your pricing or do you charge extra?
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We charge if there is a fair amount. If it only takes a couple minutes, it's free.

Last week I was at a customer's lawn. Said his neighbor across the street was going to have TG spray his front yard for yellow nutsedge. I figured it was about 4000 sq ft, and most of it had no nutsedge. He was paying $80. I thought that was high cuz one gallon would be enough to spray it all. IMO
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto on what americanlawn said. I keep a 3 gallon hand pump sprayer with me all summer long. All it has in it is Sedgehammer. I see a new spot of nutsedge, it gets hit. Typically, the next week, it's dead.
  4. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

It is an extra application for me and I always put the charge in the estimate for every customer. I assume the customer will have nutsedge/dallisgrass or some other obnoxious weed pop up in June/July that regular apps do not control.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

When I make the seasonal schedule out to new customers, I will give them a printout of our stubborn grasses like Dallis-Crab-and Nutsedge. This is so they can compare the weeds that are in their lawn if needed. I tell them in writing that these weeds are controlled in an access of 75%-85% percent on a yearly basis. Nutsedges are written as weeds that arise during wet conditions in certain soil types. The fee for our normal services will cover nominal outbreaks, but if the problems are excessive, then we charge more. The chemicals are expensive to have and use.
  6. wcb607a

wcb607a LawnSite Member

I purchases dismiss for nutsedge and it says .092 per 1000. How many sq ft do you typically get out of a gallon of a sg20?
  7. EVM

Sedge Hammer? You get many gallons out of that jar. .9 grams is good for 2 gallons of water with a surfactant.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We charge extra for nutsedge. Special treatment.
  9. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

a customer is getting 4 treatments, the third is in the summer and I do a summer fert and a grub prevention and spray all weeds this is early July. now its the end of july and they call and tell me they have an outbreak of nutsedge, 3/4 of the front lawn 12000 sq ft is covered. We did not discuss the potential for this problem prior. 4th treatment is aerate and seed. Do I charge extra or take it on the chin?
  10. EVM

You can spray the nut grass with a suppression herbicide and take it on the chin. Momentum FX and other cheap herbicides will suppress nutsedge. Next year you can add the cost in.