NW Burbs of Chicago (who is sick of the big guys quoting $18.00 per week)

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by lawnsplus, Mar 25, 2006.

1. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

OK so I went on two bids this week that just frustrated me! :confused:

These were nice enough people and they live in Sun City Huntley (both of them responded to the same postcard), so they are a little older and live on fixed incomes so I cannot blame them for shopping.

What they dont seem to get is that there price is outstanding, they both have the same provider and supplied me with last years contract. (not to mention there property looks really good)

The turf areas avg. 5000 - 7000 square feet!

Spring cleanup
    28 weekly cuts
    line trim
    bi-weekly edging of sidewalks
    all paved surfaces blown off weekly
    planting beds edged twice per season (approx 200 linear feet each)
    5 step fertilizer package
    1 fall aeration
    1 Fall cleanup

For $500 per season! :hammerhead:

How can these guys do this and stay in business? :confused:

The only homeowner complaint was in both cases that they have trouble comunicating with the lawn crew due to language barriers.

I have thought of adding a tag line to my business, like "ALL AMERICAN LAWN CREW" just to get over this hurdle.. :laugh: :usflag:

Any thoughts on how to compete with low ball companies with thousands of clients??

Any thoughts?

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

LOL i have no clue. i read this ad i thought you meant low balling at 18 per cut. There are $500 in add ons before you even start the cutting spring clean up $100? fall cleaqnup $100-$200 , 400 feet fo bedeging >50 cent a foot -1.00 thats $200-$400 1 aeration $50.00 and thats at reaonable prices so my guess is they are doing all the xtras for free or all the lawn cutting. If its a single guy or 2 man operation hell make a profit but bust his a## for it. I just dont get it , never will and they really ruin it for us legits. My guess is hell be overwhelmed have lack of help and bury himself. Ypu would be a fool not to try the guy, Lets hope he gets 2,000 jobs, hell be gone in a a month

3. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

the reason they can get away with it is that they are an illegal company - don't pay insurance, workers comp, pay employees cash, and most of the time purchase stolen equipment from larger companies that there relatives work for.

4. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They are cornering the market, that's why they are huge they have most of the work.

6. northernsvc's

how long have they been in business? sounds like someone has a lot of money to just rhow around sooner or later it will catch up to him and then when hes done low balling for market share hell have to raise his prices and loose his customers. i see this stuff happen all the time out here with snow plowing companies, they will apply for a loan, or have other jobs, low ball the market and get tons of customers but sooner or later there source of funding wears out and they get tired of doing everything for nothing. maybe it's a front for the mob - money laundering, they don't really need the customer's lol

7. northernsvc's

anyways you can't get frustrated over it, there gonna low ball, than you need to raise your quality of work to attract the higher paying clients. go for the people that know and want quality work they are willing to pay the extra couple of dollars to have someone that really cares about them and their yard. it's all about customer service.

8. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

if they are that big maybe they can afford to do the work at a loss, sign everyone up, and put all the smaller guys out of business. then they jack up the price. standard oil did that in the 20's and 30's..the gas price wars.
    another possibility...and im not a lawn pro, im a mechanic...is my friend who is a lawn pro tries to get many lawns on the same block. he can lower the price because he only loads and unloads once for many accounts on that block.