NW lawns vs MOSS!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

OK all, this is my personal bane at this time. I have moss taking over my lawns. Most have great light, but a few have less.

On the lawns with less light i am going to thatch and reseed with a more shade tolerant seed cultivar. What can i put down to deter it? Is lime a necessity up here?

I WANT (pleading/begging at this time) a nice plush full lawn like those others post on here. I dont have any and neither do most people around here. I want to make it a "calling card" with my business to not have moss.

I am going to start testing the soil in about a month. I am just wondering if this is one of those no brainers though that i just dont know. Thanks for the help and info guys.

Acute Cut
    P.S. I have noticed as well that i dont have any wide or thick blades of grass. They are all pretty thin looking.
  2. Moss in the lawn is a sign of low N.

Put on some 32-5-7.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

4. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Moss can be a sign of several problems. Low N is one. Poor drainage and also poor soil fertility are others as well as too much shade. Moss is also common on northern sides of buildings that recieve limited light. As for correcting the problem, make sure the fertilizer program is up to par, soil testing will help there. Aerating may also help. If the lawns are getting good sun, the most likely problem is fertilization.

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

By bad irrigation, do you mean too much or too little water? (I will assume too much) I have one place with moss taking over a well shaded side yard. How would I do away with the moss and grow plush grass?
  6. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If the area is heavily shaded and usually wet, try planting some poa trivialis. It a good grass for wet, shaded sites. If it's dry, plant some fine fescue. Also, if possible, trim some of the lower branches off the trees if they are the cause of the shade problems. Go as high as 10 feet if possible.

If grass won't grow after these modifications, you may have to plant some shade tolerant ground cover. Chemicals to control moss will work, but the moss will return unless the area is improved. Good Luck!

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Moss is one of simplest forms of vegetation. It will survive where other higher forms of plant life cannot. If you are having trouble growing turf in the site, determine why the turf is stressed: cut too short, too much water, not enough sunlight, unfavorable soil pH, etc.

In my experience, I have never found it necessary to fight moss in any manner. Once you give the turf the proper environment and care, it will easily crowd out the moss growth.

Due to the moisture in the PNW, you may have a tougher time with moss than the rest of us. Have you checked with state coop extension on control of moss?
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

You know what, i havent. That seems like a wonderful idea that i had never thought of. The last time i was there (also the first time) they werent very helpful because they were in a disarray from being robbed the night just previous to my visit. Ill try that tomorrow and tell yall what they say. Thanks for all of the info guys.

Acute Cut
  9. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

Mowing for the last 12 years on the Oregon coast you
    learn that moss is a fact of life.I apply high iron
    and kill it out, then thatch it out, but it will be back
    this time next year.There are ways to slow it down, but
    it wants to suck the life out you.The weather has been
    prefect for it's growth this year.Just to let eveyone out
    there know that its in all my lawns, some a little, some alot, doesn't seem to matter about ph, compaction, etc..
    It just returns like a vampire.
  10. I have been lucky with moss in the lawns so far. Not as bad as of a problem like the last 2 years. Around here, the ground doesn't get a chance to dry up. If you have the combo of shade, moister, that moss will come back no matter what kind of soil condition you have. The only thing that you can do is scratch it out every year.

I use to use a product called"moss-out", would get rid of the moss, however, would stain the heck out of sidwalks if you got it on the sidewalk.