NWF New Business Tractor Work, etc

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sloppyjoe, Feb 26, 2006.

1. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe LawnSite Member

I have read your forum with much interest. Here is my story- I am a 20 year computer guy and am burnt out. I spent much of my youth doing gardening / nurseries / landscape work. I am thinking of buying a suitable dump trailer and a tractor with a front end loader, bush hog, disk and box blade. I already own an old 83 dodge 1 tone to pull it with. I would like to develop a relationship with some of the local home builders and nurseries to do clean up leveling and landscaping. I could also advertise to do bus hog & general tractor work for individuals. My goal would be to work indipendently for a while then work into a land clearing/ landscaping business. I am located in north west Florida.

I don't mind being out doors & I don't mind working hard.
    Is their good money in this?
    What are the risks?
    What insurance & licenses should I carry?
    Thanks

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Call the builders and contractors that you plan to work for and ask if they are needing or if they already have 200 guys knocking at their door.

3. sloppyjoe

Good idea. Does anyone knnow about licensing & insurance neeeds in Florida?
    Wouold a business license be enough or does it require some type of contractor license?
    How much liability insurance for a setup like this?

4. PMLAWN

If you are truly looking at investing 50-100K on equipment I think you need a good business plan. To get the answers you need you should start calling Insurance agents, Accountants, and the local Goverment people.
    Than do a survey of how many others are doing it and and what type of money is moving in the field.

5. sloppyjoe

I was thinking more in the 15-20K range and get my feet wet in the afternoon and the weekends then see where it went. A business plan makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

6. PMLAWN

Why not try to sell a job or 2 and rent the equipment. Try things out a little.