NY pest license recertification question...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguyland, Mar 15, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey people,

To those certified NYS applicators- do you do the credits or take the test to recertify?

Last time I recertified I took the test, even though I already had 12 credits.

Reason I ask is that it took $50 and a few hours for the test including driving to Stony Brook from nassau. Passed w/o studying no problemo. If I went to take 20 recert credits it would take about $1,200 and 20 hours plus driving all over so maybe 30 hours and 1,200.....

Hmmmm....take test for 2 hours and $50
    or
    get credits for 30 hours and $1,200 (about $60/ credit if not at a trade show).

You can't fail the credit classes and the classes can be informative, but seems like a no-brainer to me.

What do you do?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I take the Continuing education classes I always am looking to learn something I didn't know yesterday.

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

That's true, I take a few classes at leisure, did the Asian Longhorned Beetle class, but I don't want to be forced to take 20 hours of credits and spend lots of money so I take the test to recert and then take classes or go to trade shows to learn. Rutgers has some good programs, Farmingdale too.

4. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same. I've taken some of Reg Loueys recertification classes, also taken some at the local extensions. Only gotta do it two of the three years, anyway.:)....12 credits over three years.

5. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a link or a number I can call up to get information about being certified ??

Thank you

6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here ya go, Dawg. Look under pesticide applicator certification.:waving: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/

7. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

i don't know why but i am haveing problems finding on the website where it says how you go about getting certified for the first time. I have the book order form bt can't figure out what else to do.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

9. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

oh thank you so much

10. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

thanks guys,Im trying to add this as a service next season..