NY - Planting a new lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by penberth, May 3, 2003.

1. penberth

penberth LawnSite Member

I am new to this forum, came over from plowsite.

Anyways, I just moved into a new house, and was wondering how hard it is to plant a new lawn. The builder is responsible for rough grading, and topsoil (to bring it up).

I have gotten some quotes for around $900-$1100. The lot size is 80' (width) by 162' (depth). With the house in the middle. (the back yard is roughly the same size as the front yard.)

I am not a landscaper, but have an interest in this stuff. And I am not afraid of hard work. Anyways, what all is involved? Or is it too much to cover here?

2. penberth

penberth LawnSite Member

3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

how much work depends greatly on how good a job the rough grader does. Also what the soil is like.
    Best case: you use a tiller and hand tools to smooth and level and prep, seed and starter fert with a spreader and straw it.
    Worst case: tractor or bobcat with a grader box, or powerrake, pulverizer perhaps, THEN rake,seed etc
    very doable with some definate HARD work involved.
    You've got to make sure that the grade takes water away from the places you don't want it. If there are low places that need filled or high places cut down, then you need a grader box (box blade), that gets it all level and looking good. Then a pulverizer breaks up the scraped soil surface and gets it ready for the seed. Seed and fertilizer go down, then do SOMETHING to mix the seed in with the soil. Roll it or just drag the BACK side of a leaf rake lightly over the surface. Just want to mix it, not move soil or seed around. Straw it, you'll need 13 bales for your 13,000 sq'. Water EVERY DAY (twice a day is better) for the next 4-5 weeks depending on variety of turf.
    That's the way "I" do it cause those are the implements I have. you can do the job with MANY different combinations of tools and implements. Moving the soil around and making it nice and soft for the seed are the whole idea.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

consider adding as much organic matter as you can get your hands on/afford. Spread it and till it in. Anything you do NOW to improve the SOIL is 10 times more effective than anything you do POST germination to improve the PLANT ! (fertilizer, aeration, etc).
    Old stable cleanings (horse sheet and straw) are readily available and cheap or free. Basically anything you can get your hands on would be helpful.