NY state DOT?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Mar 21, 2006.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wondering about the new law of 10,001 LBS combined wieght for DOT? I am not sure of my wieght. 2006 Chevy silverado 1500 W/T ext cab, 12 foot open landscape trailer, 1 Lesco ZTWO, 1Lesco W/B float deck. Do I have to register. I did look at the NY DOT site and thats where i saw the 10,001 LBS.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a trip to the local scales might be in order???

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Lesco is having an open house 3/22 i think. A guy from the DOT is suppose to be there. I'am not sure if its the Orchard Park one 716-66-1818 or Getzville 716-568-1440 I think it was from 12-2pm give them a call.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Probable Weights:

Truck: 4,000
    Trailer: 900
    Z-Mower: 1,100
    WB Mower: 650

Probable Total of Listed Items: 6,650

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they are going to be at the OP store. Joe and Jeff told me. I cant make it so thats why i asked here. I have a friend (Four Seasons Landscaping) going. He should find out more.

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The new DOT law is based on GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). Meaning, the 10,001+ is your truck GVW plus your trailer GVW which I'm 100% sure would be more than 10000lbs.

You need to register.
    www.dot.state.ny.us

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I think you're off on your truck numbers there MM, my toyota shortbed weighed in on the scales today @ 3505lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel. my F350 PSD is right around 8K. I would guess most 1/2 tons are in the 5-6K lb range.

my 12' trailer is 1200# empty too

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Darrin

What is the GVWR of your TRUCK??? THere is a STICKER...usually on your driver's side door that tells you EXACTLY. Probably around 6,600...LOOK AND SEE!!!!! IF your trailer is single axle it is likely a 3,500 gvwr...should also be a STICKER on it!!!! Look and see!!! Now add the two numbers together, if they are 10,001 or higher you need a DOT. No guess work or SCALES needed!!! Weight of mowers doesn't matter. VERY SIMPLE.

Mike

9. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Darrin,

Just so you know I have multiple friends in the industry that got the DOT # over the phone and there was a charge of like $300.00
    If you do it online it is FREE.
    If you need any help pm me and I will send you the links.:waving:

Jason

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Like Quality said, it doesn't matter what the actual weight is, it's the GCWR rating.

The 2006 Chevy Silverado comes in a wide range of weight ratings depending on engine options.

The V-6 will not need a DOT number.
    The 4.8 V-8 manual transmission with 3.23 rear gears will not need a DOT number.
    Any other engine/tranny option will need to have a DOT number as they are all rated at over 10,000 GCWR.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/