O.K. What's the worst edger you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Mar 5, 2005.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The worst HAS to be Little Wonder. Whoever designed that nightmare should be shot. The last one I bought, all I wanted was the engine. I made the engine work on my Scag edger frame and threw out what was left of the LW. Why? It was cheaper to buy the edger than to buy just the engine.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

One of thoose manual type, the one with the wooden handle

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it was a walk behind made by....shoot now I don't remember the name. I can't believe that I just drew a blank

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Whats wrong with the little wonder? Was thinking of getting one. Have always used Power-trim edgers and they seemed to work fine with the exception of the blade gaurds always needing to get welded and such. I have had a Craftsman and a MTD that were so bulky and couldnt cut for anything. The single front wheeled little wonder looked like it was built like the Power-trim and thought id try it out because I like the way they manuever and how light they are.

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

My wife, but I dont really own her yet

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

got it. It was a 3.5HP Cub Cadet

7. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FC55, I don't how much more I take of this thing. :angry:

8. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The last time I used one was at least 10 years ago, but I think they're still designed the same way. They have a weird blade tensioning system based on a spring loaded shaft that slides the entire cutter head back and forth. The cutter head is kept vertical by a cheap metal tab tack welded in place at the back of this assembly. This tab will break and or wear out very quickly causing the blade to bend over into the grass edge creating a chamfered cut, making you do 10x the work. :angry:

9. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

I have a Tanaka (orange paint) that I bought over 10 years ago. The design haas not changed at all, a very solid and light 2 cycle edger. Retails for around 600. Great compact design that is easily stored in the back of the truck.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Weed Eater brand.....they make p.o.s. products!! :angry: :angry: